Woma eating trouble

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not thaw the feed in "Luke warm" water ! this is prob the main reason it wont eat... the feed is cold! Thaw the rodent in hot tap water and don't worry about placing it in a bag either. The feed has to be at least blood temp for the snake to respond to it. Thawing should only take a short time if done correctly in hot tap water.

[MENTION=39456]MalstRavane[/MENTION] like I asked previously - what does the feeding history say?

Does she still have mites? What have you been using? It's been 4 months since you started this thread, if there are still mites present I'd suggest you're not breaking the life cycle and need to reassess your methods. If she doesn't have mites she could be getting poisoned if you're using chemicals, especially since she's still very small.

Do you mean that you're feeding her live fuzzy mice?

Easiest way to thaw: put food into a bowl and fill the bowl with hot tap water (not boiling, not luke warm). If you're defrosting fuzzy mice they won't take long at all, make sure it feels warm and squishy. Luke warm water will go cold in a few hours so you're basically trying to feed her a cold mouse - that's why she's refusing.

@Woma_Wild is there anything I should add at this stage? I feel sad for this little woma :(

Last edited:
Sorry [MENTION=38897]Beans[/MENTION] but Woma's don't have heat pits. They are one of the very few snakes that don't have them. I'm pretty sure Black heads don't have them either

Last edited:
Sorry @Beans but Woma's don't have heat pits. They are one of the very few snakes that don't have them. I'm pretty sure Black heads don't have them either

Wow I didn't know that. How interesting.

Oh they do have heat pits. Well alrighty then

[MENTION=39456]MalstRavane[/MENTION] like I asked previously - what does the feeding history say?

Does she still have mites? What have you been using? It's been 4 months since you started this thread, if there are still mites present I'd suggest you're not breaking the life cycle and need to reassess your methods. If she doesn't have mites she could be getting poisoned if you're using chemicals, especially since she's still very small.

Do you mean that you're feeding her live fuzzy mice?

Easiest way to thaw: put food into a bowl and fill the bowl with hot tap water (not boiling, not luke warm). If you're defrosting fuzzy mice they won't take long at all, make sure it feels warm and squishy. Luke warm water will go cold in a few hours so you're basically trying to feed her a cold mouse - that's why she's refusing.

@Woma_Wild is there anything I should add at this stage? I feel sad for this little woma :(

I totally agree that hot tap water is best but saying that most woma's as you know will eat anything and I know mine would not mind if at all if the prey was not warmed and I think there is something else stopping it from feeding. It is either very fussy, something wrong with it , something wrong with husbandry or it may as you suggested still have mites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] you're correct, I should have phrased my response better.
[MENTION=39456]MalstRavane[/MENTION] answering the questions posed to you would be a great start, as we can only speculate until then.

[COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 40.800000%, 57.300000%)]It does not have the characteristicpython heat-sensory pits along the lips and front of the head
This was what I found in a QUICK GOOGLE search [MENTION=37955]Lawra[/MENTION]
What also came up was a thread on this site saying that the BHP and Woma's don't have heat pits like other snakes
They do have some under their
[/COLOR]rostral scale.
So in a way I was right and in an other I was wrong.
Sorry [MENTION=37758]bones[/MENTION] they do have heat pits but ALLLLLLLLL google searches say they do not
So really who do you go by.
Sorry bout hijacking this tread but this is what I have been told by breeders and GOOGLE

Hope your Woma starts eating and I do heat my rats via a plate over a hot container of water Which helps to defrost.

It was once widely thought that they did not have heat sensing pits but it was discovered that they actually do have them but not as many and only at the front. I can't find the article that explains the discovery but I will keep looking and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back