Crazy spine condition coastal python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogi

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Attached are photos of a young python that I picked up today. From near the head all the way down the spine there are visible lumbs. I found this odd and decided to go to a vet, upon x ray (attached) it turns out it is the little guys spine every so often a vertibra is curved causing the bumps.

If anyone has seen this before please let me know, the reptile team and the vet have not seen this before.

I should add the body condition is fair and the snakes ability to move it so far uncompromised.

Cheers Jacob
DSC00211 2.jpgDSC00212 2.jpg1.2.840.113564.54.10.0.0.27.4380.20140414152251559_1.jpg769f5a0304c94eadae831dcad861fe3a_1.jpg

I have seen a similar thing. Someone I bought a python off had a little jungle with a very lumpy deformed spine. Apparently it and its only sibling were both born deformed. Whether it was a genetic defect from the parents or an incubation thing, is anyone's guess.

The little jungle was also quite stunted as at 4 yrs (from memory) it was smaller than a yearling and unlikely to grow much bigger. It couldn't climb very well but eats and sloughs fine.

i have seen the same thing in a wild diamond python, and more recently i caught a Brown snake that had it really bad,it had become paralysed. Ive got photos i will dig up

Hello again,

No one has any more ideas, And Snake pimp if its is most likely to become paralysed is it worth releasing to prolong the slow demise of the poor guy or just put it down?

Cheers Jacob

Could it be the product of in-breeding? I read that when incubating moving the eggs is an incredibly delicate process and maybe moving an egg without care could cause this if the embryo manages to survive? I am rather interested and want to know if you picked this up from the breeder?

Last time I saw something similar was a few years ago at the local pet shop, I was told "It's not uncommon, he should grow out of it" (hatchling, can't remember which species it was though). I was pretty ticked off about it, and told them in no uncertain terms that they should be ashamed of themselves for treating customers like idiots just to make a buck at the animal's expense. Haven't been back there since...

Could it be the product of in-breeding? I read that when incubating moving the eggs is an incredibly delicate process and maybe moving an egg without care could cause this if the embryo manages to survive? I am rather interested and want to know if you picked this up from the breeder?

Reptile genetics are a little different to mammals. Inbreeding has little to no adverse effect on them, and most are actually usually direct line bred to prove out genetic morphs such as albino. striped, hypo, axanthic ect...

I wanted to click the like as a thank you but my browser is being a pain :/ thanks for that info! although I still don't like the idea of breeding clutch mates or even siblings or cousins from other clutches :s

I wanted to click the like as a thank you but my browser is being a pain :/ thanks for that info! although I still don't like the idea of breeding clutch mates or even siblings or cousins from other clutches :s

It's just something you have to separate yourself from as a mammal. As Badsville says inbreeding is different with reptiles, and the reptiles really couldn't care less as long as they get a bit of action. :p

Last edited:
Hello,

Sorry i should have stated this is a snake picked up for relocation by me a wires volunteer. Not a captive snake.
I am now being told this is becoming more common among wild snakes.

Cheers Jacob

I have picked up a couple of diamonds with a similar condition. Its like the snake is full of golf balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back