Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggzz

Reaction score
G'day as the title states im a newbie and just signed up to the forum - I hope this isnt posted in the wrong section.

I Have kept african cichlids for years (fish) and im stepping up my game and moving into reptiles.
Just got my license as of last weekend - i am in no rush to buy the first reptile i see posted anywhere or in any pet shop.
I plan on doing some research first before i do anything really, this is more of a lets get the ball rolling kinda of post,
just to find out some things from the more experienced reptile keepers.

I have always admired reptiles since i have moved to this country from england and always know a good friend or two that has kept snakes
or beardies etc etc.
I have handled snakes before - not heaps but im not going to totally freak out a run i think they are amazing creatures and
i know im obsessed before even owning one....
Im looking at doing a captive animal course as well - looking for a career change and want to somehow get involved with either
fish or reptiles - im quite aware how competitive it may be and how many thousands out there would know more then me but,
if you want it, work hard learn and go get it.... anyway ill stop rambling....

Im either looking at getting some pygmy bearded dragons to start with or a snake( best begginer species? )
I just thought i would introduce myself and would love to hear all the beginner mistakes i can avoid!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about that, Didnt see this section beforehand. I will pay more attention in future.

Welcome to the fun factory ;)
You do realize once you start there is no going back lol whether it is lizards or reptiles you wont stop at just one. I head the aquarium section where I work and keep various Pythons and fish at home. You have come to the right place, there are many experienced reptile keepers on this site with a wealth of information to share.

Yeah Ive been well warned ahead of time! one of my mates started with a childrens python within a few years a whole reptile room!!

I started with a spotted yearling and she was great. We now have 2 spotteds and a Woma and I want one more at least maybe a albino :)
Good luck with choosing there are so many beautiful reptiles out there

Thanks, I would absolutely love the privelage of having a snake also. My faves at the moment are - Diamond Pythons and Jungle pythons. ;)

[MENTION=40236]Aggzz[/MENTION] there are plenty of APS members who live in Sydney, maybe one would be kind enough to take you under his/her wing :)

Pythons are far lower maintenance than beardies - once you get husbandry sorted, of course.

Diamonds and jungles are both lovely pythons :) I however am biased towards womas as they're so interesting! I also have two jungles and have gorgeous patterns/colours and climb on everything - also very interesting to watch!

There's sooo much info on this forum that I've spent hours upon hours just reading... I look forward to seeing pics of whichever one you choose and I'm sure you won't be able to stop at one - it's an addiction!

Hint: build and set up enclosures that you don't need just in case an opportunity arises to fill it - much better than scrambling around last minute :)

@Aggzz there are plenty of APS members who live in Sydney, maybe one would be kind enough to take you under his/her wing :)

Pythons are far lower maintenance than beardies - once you get husbandry sorted, of course.

Diamonds and jungles are both lovely pythons :) I however am biased towards womas as they're so interesting! I also have two jungles and have gorgeous patterns/colours and climb on everything - also very interesting to watch!

There's sooo much info on this forum that I've spent hours upon hours just reading... I look forward to seeing pics of whichever one you choose and I'm sure you won't be able to stop at one - it's an addiction!

Hint: build and set up enclosures that you don't need just in case an opportunity arises to fill it - much better than scrambling around last minute :)

Thanks for the feedback. I know exactly what you mean with the spare ready tp go enclosure - always had an extra fish tank running just in case it came in need! which it did ;)
I have also looked up some Womas they look amazing also - out of your woma / jungles which which has more personality?? I am also aware it varies
from snake to snake and how much handling time it may of had if its a youngen
I have been reccomended to go to CAMOS reptiles and do his half day beginner reptile course and made contact with him and he seems like
a pretty nice dude
Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate welcome to aps, check this thread out if you haven't already, lots of useful tips in there.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/tips-newbies-thread-143946/

Thanks for the link mate ill have a read ;)

Welcome to the hobby, as has been shown in similar threads, the best beginner sp mainly depends on how much room you have, how large you want it to grow/comfortable handling and amount of care needed.

A lot of people usually start off with the small sp like a Stimsons or childrens due to their small and less intimidating size or a mid sized (5-5.5ft) but usually good temperment sp like a woma (that being said each snake has a different personality etc but some sp are generalised about by long time breeders like the ones that usually put out the care sheets and have been breeding them for ages).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back