Mareeba Cape Yorks who has them?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythons Rule

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
One of my all time favourite Cape Yorks is the B&W RP Mareeba's. In the time I have owned this amazing specimen I have only managed to find 1 other person that has one, this has left us both wondering IF there are anymore people out there with these and if anyone else is breeding them? if you have a Mareeba please PLEASE share your magnificent beast with us.

here is a couple of mine, my 6 year old male.
DSCF8276.JPGDSCF8328.JPG

and 2 females he sired in 2013
DSCF0562.jpgDSCF0494.jpg

IMG_3275.jpgIMG_3729.jpgIMG_4201.jpg

My boy, sold to me as a Mareeba Jungle but have been told just a variant of coastal as well. I don't want to get into a debate about what sort he is as I have discussed it several times before and can never get much of a conclusive answer. He is currently almost 2.5m long.

Slightly different to yours though, but I thought I'd put him up anyway :)

I have a few they are very nice I want to breed them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow he is stunning!! definitely a cape York so much like my little light red female.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures when you can please would love to see them....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of B&W Mareebas. They have originated from Peter Krauss from what I understand. They are typical Cape Yorks in that they show both Coastal and Jungle traits. Mine have Coastal size and character but jungle head and body patterns.

DSCF3455fix.jpg10304353_10152344587818172_5525740806187545674_n.jpg

thought I would update you with pics of the bubs I hatched out in 2013. light red girl I am keeping for future breeding and B&W I sold to a friend.

Last edited:
The last photo in the first post and the second last photo in the last post has that typical backward jagged criss cross patterning which is an atherton jungle trait, also seen in julattens, as they are athertons aswell. Those animals you have are Julatten crosses for sure. Not that julattens are bad, but as far as b&g, if you want quality jungles as far as bright quality colors, athertons are not what you want. Stripes and b&w variations are useful in some cases tho, alot of individuals fiddle with atherton blood for increase chance of stripes etc as apposed to mostly banded clutches with smaller locals, this is a good way to tell if atherton has been introduced in peoples lines, when they are selling palm, Tully or other locals of jungle that are being sold as such.

If you see someone's black and golds showing this backward zig zag trait in their hatchies or adults, I recommend steering clear. When you start breeding pure athertons it becomes an extremly common trait, when crosses with other lines it becomes less and less common, you can see the cape York stripe/band combo which does pop in cape Yorks. You also have the whole debate of weither or not their coastals or jungles but that's another story.

You have Atherton blood in those for sure, in this case Julatten. But what can you do? Not much. If I were you I'd put a jag over them, jullatten male or something because that's the route they are already gone down. But defiantly not a cape York male, cape York is a dead end in my opion. Sorry to rain on your parade. But tell the girl the truth or let her breed/sell crosses as pure, you know. They are nice animals you have their tho especially the first one.

@Gaboon have you ever being herping on the Atherton Tablelands or FNQ? Or are you basing your opinion on captive bred examples?

The "backwards zig-zag pattern which is typical of Athertons and Julattens" can also be found in other carpets, unless I am looking at the wrong thing.

Last edited:
@RedFox Thats right. you can find the trait in alot of 'captive' bred carpets for sure. Because most people's lines arn't pure. I havn't been herping up there personally, but iv seen alot of wild atherton photos pulled right from the bush dirty and dull. it's defiantly a trait from that area alone. As soon as you get into other locals in the wild, you don't see this trait. "Looking at the wrong thing" what exactly are you looking at? I garrentee if you go to the table lands and you find jungles from that area, you will find them riddled with this trait. Go to other areas far from the tablelands and you won't see it.

Last edited:
I was referring to wild carpets not captives. Plenty of wild (and captive) carpets are "dirty" looking and there is a fair bit of pattern variation. I think you have mistaken "quality" jungles with high yellow. What I was looking at and I assumed you were meaning was that the backwards zig zag pattern was the star like pattern as seen on the animal climbing on the brick wall and the animal on top of the paper towel in the tub.

As for the photos you have seen unless they had an exact location on them a lot of people put fairly vague area locales to wild herps they find. So I fail to see how you can determine specific traits.

The carpets I've seen around Mareeba IMO have a bit more of a coastal appearance, whereas further SE on the Atherton tablelands just look like jungles. Possibly Jungle/ coastal intergrades like further up on Cape York.

Pretty much what I am getting at is, without knowing the history/ ancestry of an animal you cannot determine whether it is pure locale or crossed. I see nothing in any of the animals above that tells me they are "Julatten crosses for sure."

I've been breeding Cape Yorks for around 8 years and yet to see one that resembles an Atherton.
Have also seen the backward zig zag pattern in many species of carpet. I really don't think it means anything. Carpets are pretty variable.

Last edited:
I can tell you that these are infact Mareeba's there is no Atherton or Jalletine blood in them. how do I know you ask because I bred them! so instead of spreading fulse information to everyone on this group back up a bit and find out the real facts first.

- - - Updated - - -

If referring to wild animals and exact locality of these ones patterns and colour you'll find they are found up along Palmer River. But in Captive bred animals people put Mareeba as what they are for locality. Cape yorks are thought to be natural intergrades in the wild you cant say that this pattern is this or that colour is that with cape yorks their patterns and colours vary just like any other Mcdowelli. I only own Mareeba's (palmer river's) and Wenlock River Cape York Carpets (pure local animals) bought from top of the line bred animals from very well known breeders.

Thank you to RedFox and Turtle for your help sorting this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back