Shingleback substrate? For display tank..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brigo

Reaction score
Hi all, going to be setting up a display tank for Shingles, and I am after the most appropriate substrate for them, no newspaper etc.

Ive narrowed it down to Aspen or Red desert sand, in the past I have kept them on Newspaper and Breeders choice, but I would like something different and appealing to look at since it will be on display.

I have searched the forum on substrate and noticed some people used coco peat, I would have thought that would cause humidity issues, im leaning towards aspen or red desert sand and would like to know the pros and cons.

Also have a few questions to ask for the experienced keepers of Shinglebacks, does red sand really cause eye issues? And is it bad for them if they dig into it? With aspen will they ingest it at all?

These are things ive read and would like to triple check before starting the enclosure. Hope to see some replies soon! Thx

If not my favourite lizards! Ive kept them on red desert sand before and noticed it would get in between their scales and stick aound their nostrils, however have encountered them in sandy areas around S.A. so it's a bit of a condundrem. Be sure to post some pics of your setup and inhabitants when your done!!

Will do, thanks for your input.

I too have seen them in sandy areas in Central West NSW, did you notice if it was bad for their health with the sand being in their scales and nostrils?

I have basically chosen aspen or red desert sand, but am open to other natural looking substrates, health comes first which is why im asking beforehand lol.

Hope to see some more input and experiences.

Again yes and no. Sometimes I would clean over the nostrils with warm water and a cotton bud if it had covered them, and with the sand in scales I didn't notice no adverse reaction although id imagine it wouldn't be to compfortable. That's my experience with it anyway sorry I can't be of more help!

Thanks for the info mate, i may go with aspen, i cant see how aspen can be a bad substrate? I have noticed people using similar substrates as aspen, such as coco husk and rice hull, im hoping it is similar to aspen lol

I will be using a glass tank with mesh top, I was told to allow the humidity to escape, melamine is an option but was told it may get too humid in there, im really leaning towards the aspen, but havent got any replies about it, the red desert sand may be no good as alot of what ive read and been told isnt whats best for them, may be suitable but I want to eliminate any future problems, any aspen users out there?:)

I plan on using aspen, and chucking a nice hollow log, a hide, heat and uvb.

I wont have a water bowl in there I will just offer water daily or every second day.

I used kritters krumble at first but it got abit expensive. ATM I'm using eucalyptus chips I got from bunnings and they seem to be working well and my shingles are fine with it... And it smells nice

I too ended up using bark chips, as I liked the red contrast to the shingles I got them in that colour which is an alternative if you still wanted a red substrate. Just make sure you thoroughly dry and air it out. I see no problems with aspen which also looks good for display enclosures :)

Nice, yeah bark chips also interest me, the colour red will look great.

Bunnings sell that or local garden centre? I am leaning towards aspen but it costs so much, was recommended sugar cane mulch too, which is similar to aspen, but end of the day its not aspen haha

Lol. I just got the bark from bunnings, can't remember the price but it wasn't to bad.

Was that the bark chips? I might go with aspen or sugar cane mulch, theyd look so good on red sand but wont take the risk lol

I do a mixture of 45 percent crushed coconut and 55 percent aspen

Can u show a pic of the shingle wen u get it???

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

Last edited by a moderator:
What we have done successfully is use a mixture of the playsand from Bunnings (thoroughly dried out first), mixed in with either coir peat and/or leaf litter. We also do this with our geckos, except we don't use the leaf litter with them.

I use half ozpet litter, half wood shavings. I found the ozpet reduced the stinky poo smell quite a bit. Fortunately mine have decided to stop crapping in their actual enclosure and use the newspaper on the other side of the dining room instead.

Thanks for all the great replies, in the past I had kept them on newspaper, might go with sugar cane mulch or wood/bark shavings :)

Breeders choice...... In south eastern qld our ambient humidity requires drying substrates to prevent ri. Will never use anything else

This may seem like a silly question....... Is there a risk of impaction with Breeder's Choice? I have my Shingle on newspaper and dried blend of summer hay(like sugar cane mulch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back