My new Diamond - some tips please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTams

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just picked up my first snake! He's a gorgeous diamond python, roughly 2 years old. I've wanted one for ages and at the price I didn't really have a chance of saying no. He came with his own enclosure, some weaner rats and a 26W Exo Terra 10UVB light

I was hoping you snakesperts could tell me what to do with this light? ie where I should put it in the enclosure. The bloke who owned him before me for some reason didn't know where it was. There doesn't appear to be any hooks or anything to hang it off either - no indication at all to where it was previously. See the photo for an idea of what my enclosure is like: http://i.imgur.com/xWKcALI.jpg

What should I put down on the floor? I have this rock hide at the bottom in the corner, is this OK?

And here's a photo of the gorgeous creature! http://i.imgur.com/rjfnFWP.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a bit hard to tell but I think he should be on something a bit bigger then weaner rats.

Look at using aspen bedding
It's a yellow wood shaving I think it looks great against the coloring of a diamond.

You need to look up setting enclosures there is a heap of tutorials on here.

You also didn't mention a water bowl (don't forget to put one in for him)

Diamonds love to climb so include some sticks/logs

Also what is with the gloves?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That light isn't designed for use with a solid top enclosure. You'd generally put it on a mesh/wire top to shine into the enclosure. Does your enclosure have a light fitting in it? If it does just use that and discard the other light or save it for a different use.

Yes, the hide will go on the floor on the cool side. You can fashion a hide out of almost anything so I'd provide more than one in different areas. And the substrate is your choice, aspen bedding has been mentioned; newspaper or breeders choice pellets (or the like) are other options.

Thanks for the input. The weaner rats are quite big compared to the snake itself. (i think) he's still fairly small... his neck is barely the thickness of my index finger. How would I tell?

I'll check out some of them tutorials, thanks. For now I've ordered some aspen bedding. Yep he has a water bowl and some things to climb :) Here's a better photo. The whole day he's been happily basking on the rock next to the lamp. He fed last night as well

ypzFYl9.jpg

Does the light have a heat cage around it? To prevent the snake wrapping itself around the light globe

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Like maxwell said, you don't want the snake to be able to wrap around the light globe- there's a range of possible injuries there.
Also, how hot does the lamp shade get? If your snake is tempted to sit on it, you're risking damaging the cord (if that's what's taking the weight) and the snake burning itself.

yeah the lamp has wire mesh over the bottom of it. it's not really ideal, I plan to cut a hole out of the enclosure's ceiling and shine it in from the top through some glass

(clicky)

I think he likes it :)

I've got a better digital temperature display now, it seems to read three degrees higher than the analogue/mechanical one (even in the same location) and would explain why the snake was never going near the lamp. 24 degrees in the cool corner still seems a little high, should I aim for it to be lower? Also, I've been having this lamp on about 10 hours in the day, is that right? It doesn't put out much heat, the sensor gets to 27degC when positioned where the snake is in the above photo

You can cut a 12x12 square hole and put a very strong screen in/on the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

I'm sure the other Guys can help u with the setup that's a Great looking animal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If lamp is only the 26w uv one you were talking about earlier it's not going to get any warmer than that. It's not designed to put out heat, only uv light. Try a 40w reflector globe, you'll get good basking temps from that, best to run it on a thermostat.

Awesome looking python mate. I know nothing about snake set ups but should thag light be up high as your snake could climb down on the light?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

hey thanks for the input guys :)

I've chopped out a vent at the top to let out any excess heat and also a big hole the size of the light. Have covered both with wire mesh and am gonna mount the light top and center, aiming in. Got a 40w infrared lamp and thermostat on the way too

Whiteshadow the lamp shade doesn't ever get more than comfortably warm. At the moment I don't there's no heat source so he seems happy wrapping around it for warmth

That's cool then.
I just showed my son your Python and he really likes it.
I have never looked into pricing of a diamond. How much is one worth.

nice diamond, Tim Tam have look at Sydney weather and eastern coast of NSW down to VIC border this is range of the wild diamond and you can gauge your cage temps off this remembering this python is found in the cooler regions and they thrive here.
also Diamonds are arboreal so higher that heat source the better for displaying diamond and allowing the python to be able to climb up to get to heat source when it needs it

also point out few people don't have much in heating for their diamonds in Melb and they do very well

That's cool then.
I just showed my son your Python and he really likes it.
I have never looked into pricing of a diamond. How much is one worth.

picked this guy up for $350 with enclosure

I have to pick up some more rats so will try some bigger ones

picked this guy up for $350 with enclosure

I have to pick up some more rats so will try some bigger ones

Wow thats a bargain, no wonder you snapped it up.
I spent till 3am looking at diamond's and other python's.
Nearly every diamond was $350+
I hope I am able to use your picture to win over my wife with getting a python now ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back