This guy's living in my roof

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianska

Reaction score
Moved to a semi rural property last year and loving the wildlife around here. Port Stephens Area NSW. Saw this guy at the base of a tree just outside my living room a couple of nights ago. Not sure if he'd fallen out or not as I heard a thump and my cats freaked out. Looked like he'd just had a feed as had a fairly large bulge in his body. We watched him climb back up the tree from the window then left him alone.

Today I was watching a roo having a lay on his back and scratch his belly when suddenly 3/4 of the snake fell off the gutter. He pulled himself back up so I went out to get some photos of him during the day. He then slid back into the roof.

Just wanted to check what kind he was (thinking a Diamond Python). He's about 1.5m -2m long.

Lovely snake :)

Thats a very nice looking diamond, very bright and nice pattern.

Rick

Yes, that's definitely a Diamond Python (Morelia spilota).
The cream belly, black background dorsal colouration with yellow tipping on individual scales and regular pale rosettes are so distinctive that an animal of that size can't really be confused with anything else. Having said that, juveniles of this species can be mistaken for the Broad-headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides) but anything over a metre is almost certainly a Diamond Python.

By the way, it's a beautiful specimen and looks like a female to me.

Wish I could have pythons that look Like this around my place.

Yes, that's definitely a Diamond Python (Morelia spilota).
The cream belly, black background dorsal colouration with yellow tipping on individual scales and regular pale rosettes are so distinctive that an animal of that size can't really be confused with anything else. Having said that, juveniles of this species can be mistaken for the Broad-headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides) but anything over a metre is almost certainly a Diamond Python.

By the way, it's a beautiful specimen and looks like a female to me.

How can you tell it's female?

Damn thats a stunning example of a wild specimen.
And I too am curious as to Bushman being able to determine sex from a partial photo...?

Glad everyone likes him/her. Went out to see if he was sunbathing on the roof again just now but he's decided the patio has a bit more shade :)

That has got to be the most stunning wild diamonds I have seen. I use to live in bushland near Maitland and we had them frequently. They never had as much yellow nor the vivid spots as this specimen.

We have them here (near Hornsby) in our roof too. No rats in our roof any more!!! And looking at one of your pics, it looks like this guy has a rat-sized meal inside him too.

Very lucky to have him as a guest.
Id keep tabs on the cats from now on though........

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Beautiful diamond! And like others have said, very lucky to it around. Seems quite relaxed with the attention?

A beautiful looking snake! Just out of curiosity, is your cat indoors only? I'd be worried if I had him/her lurking around my house with small pets around.

The cats are indoors only yeah. We have 3 of them. The odd one does manage to escape every now and then (about twice a year) but it's up to them if they want to take that chance lol. There's a large 2m monitor lizard around here too that would probably eat a small human so we're pretty careful with our pets.

The snakes seems to have taken up residence under my BBQ the last few days. Pops out for a bit of a sun bathe then sleeps curled up underneath the rest of the day. Really does;t seem to mind me walking past to get into the garage too.

We have a couple of small dogs too so I'm just waiting for him to move on so I can let them out in the garden. It's enclosed with a low fence to stop the dogs chasing the roos and wallabies so I've opened up a section near the BBQ for the snake to get out if he want's.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it usual for them to sleep on the floor out in the open? He's been by the BBQ for 2 days now and comes out for a bit of a bask then goes and hides again. Tonight he's just sleeping out in the open. Just wondering if he's OK?

View attachment 308821

- - - Updated - - -

Update to the update.

Looks like he's moved on :) but :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back