Exotic species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregcranston

Reaction score
How come people with birds are able to have exotic species until their hearts content like Alexandrian, Indian Ring Necks and like a hundred other kinds but we aren't allowed to have any exotic reptiles or mammals?

What do you mean no exotic mammals?we can Pretty much only keep exotics. It's natives we can't keep

You could import any birds you wanted up until 1996 and the Newcastle desease breakout and imports were virtually stopped overnight."PLUS" the fact bird eggs have a window of up to ten days after laying b4 they have to be incubated making "imports" a little easier to bring in "plus" bird/poultry eggs can be rotated rolled whatever without causing death infact that rolling or rotating is fundamental to an eggs existance. solar 17

There's still literally hundreds of parrot species that we cannot keep in Australia because of a closed border policy. What we have, and can keep, is what was here decades ago (speaking for the legal population only).

Why; It's simple really - because of Government policy. Bird people were obviously more successful all those years ago at lobbying the Government for approval. I dare say that back in those days Australian reptile keepers were still developing the number of native species within the hobby and were more than happy with what they were achieving. Now that 'everyone' is bored with natives they want to jump on the exotic bandwagon.... lol. Good luck with that!

The mammals you can keep are all exotic, cats dogs cows etc....

I mean like hedgehogs, chinchilla and the like. For reptiles I mean like star tortoise, iguana and many others.

If you can't understand why we can't keep species like this, you shouldn't really own anything above a snail IMO...

I mean like hedgehogs, chinchilla and the like. For reptiles I mean like star tortoise, iguana and many others.
I know what you meant in regards to reptiles.
Just take a look at all the introduced animals causing trouble for our natives and you should get the idea:?

I'm not saying we should be allowed to, I just don't understand why exotic birds and fish are not banned also, I think they all should have been years ago, too late now.

I'm not saying we should be allowed to, I just don't understand why exotic birds and fish are not banned also, I think they all should have been years ago, too late now.

You've answered your own question there. It's the same with cats, dogs, rabbits etc. All, in hindsight, should never have been imported but they are well established as pets (and ferals!) now. I feel the same way about tobacco, no good reason for it except that people will be angry to lose it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back