Wild caught on private propert

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a family member who has a very large property in western NSW. They have quite a few Pythons they have saved (from being ripped apart by their dogs) and have asked me if I wanted them.
I declined as I am unsure if as a licensed reptile owner i would be allowed to take possession of wild caught animals, even though it was an private property.

Is my understanding correct?

Cannot remove natives from the wild. The wild is anything that's not captivity, including private property.

Yes. Private property doesn't mean they own the wildlife. Good on them for helping them out though.

Yes you are correct, if they are being held captive from a wild state unlawfully (they could be released away from the dogs) then they would enter your possession outside the bounds of the regulated, permit holder system.

Thanks. Was quite sure i was correct. I've asked them to release them in another part of the property.
Unfortunately they are deemed a pest by all farmers in the area.

Unless they are all chicken farmers I don't understand how they are a pest? Decades ago they were deliberately procured in the southern states to release around hay sheds etc to keep the number of vermin down. What part of NSW is this?

I had an old school sheep farmer that told me, how can you trust any snake they can all breed with each other. Further saying he had once seen a brown snake cross carpet python :lol: he couldn't be told otherwise and very much set in the old school ways... My granddad was also an Irish vegetable farmer and was intent on killing all and any snakes that came about. (I was too young to save any of them and seen many a harmless snake shovelled In front of me) ... So yeah I'm sure some people still see them as a problem. It's hard to re-teach these people the good in some things. I have released countless snakes from people's property back into national park closest to the property they were saved from. There has even been times I went and got a snake from inside a house only to release it into the backyard... But as many have already said never keep a wild animal longer than needed to transport it to a safer location (which I'm sure you could find with a little thought)

Cheers, Matt

I think, as rediculous as it is, that it is illegal to catch and relocate a python in NSW, dogs or not!
If you are licenced you are only allowed to procure animals from a licenced keeper, which it sounds like your family member is not.

This does make sence wokka as there are specific licenses for this. Not only this but what's to stop someone simply saying "I was just looking after it untill I relocate it". I however (personally and not advocating or saying it's the right thing to do) disregard this rule in favor of removing snakes from problem areas and only ever relocated immediately after capture. It's a win win. Win for those that don't appreciate having snakes around (kids, pets other reasons) and also for the unappreciated animal that may or may not do better once relocated. I do prefer to move the snake within the same location as once found...

Cheers, Matt

This does make sence wokka as there are specific licenses for this. Not only this but what's to stop someone simply saying "I was just looking after it untill I relocate it". I however (personally and not advocating or saying it's the right thing to do) disregard this rule in favor of removing snakes from problem areas and only ever relocated immediately after capture. It's a win win. Win for those that don't appreciate having snakes around (kids, pets other reasons) and also for the unappreciated animal that may or may not do better once relocated. I do prefer to move the snake within the same location as once found...

Cheers, Matt

Really? You just said it does make sense wokka as there are specific licenses for this. But then say I however (personally and not advocating or saying it's the right thing to do) disregard this rule... If it makes sense why don't you get the appropriate license to remove reptiles?

I don't personally feel the need to pay the government a yearly fee simply to "save the animals I enjoy" (I'm not in it for money, and I never ask or take money if offered) if anything I already run at a loss monetarily. I believe though if I was to do it as a business I would then feel it necessary as "black market profiteering has to be curbed" but not for simply relocating an animal within a few Kms from where it once was.

Cheers, Matt

Just collect up however many you can find that are in potential danger and move them to another safer part of the property.

Yes you are correct, if they are being held captive from a wild state unlawfully (they could be released away from the dogs) then they would enter your possession outside the bounds of the regulated, permit holder system.
[MENTION=20427]ozziepythons[/MENTION] so does the same thing apply with the reptiles on the SA exempt list? We cannot take from the wild?

I don't personally feel the need to pay the government a yearly fee simply to "save the animals I enjoy" (I'm not in it for money, and I never ask or take money if offered) if anything I already run at a loss monetarily. I believe though if I was to do it as a business I would then feel it necessary as "black market profiteering has to be curbed" but not for simply relocating an animal within a few Kms from where it once was.

Cheers, Matt

Umm, there is no fee to get a Damage Mitigation Permit in QLD. The only fee you would have to pay is for a training course if you cant get the stat dec's required and that money goes to the trainer, not the gov't. Not having a go at you or anything, just letting you know

No offence taken, I was unaware that there was no fee involved and just assumed. I would also love to do a ven handling course and there is one that runs quite close to me. I will have to look into actually doing one when I pull my finger out and save up a little money for it...

Cheers, Matt

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] and myself did one with Martin Fingland of Geckoes Wildlife Presentations. $275. Best money i've ever spent. Got to work with everything from small carpets, blacks, adders, tigers to taipans and eastern browns. Very informative. The local snake catcher in the area also came and did an assessment for $50 and if you passed, he provided a second stat dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back