Housing 2 Blueys together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJayeS

Reaction score
Hi all,
So i've had my two Eastern Blue Tongues for two years now and they're 5 years old.
They're brother and sister from the same litter (i can't tell which is which, they just look quite different so i'm assuming their opposite sex).
They've been housed together since birth and i've continued to keep them together since i got them.
Their tank is plenty big enough and i'm soon going to be upsizing even more with more caves and places to climb but recently i'm getting hassled by people telling me that i should never house two blue tongues together because all of a sudden they might kill each other.

What the hell?
I've had these two for two years and they've never even scratched one another or squabbled over food or anything like that.
Is it really true that next minute they might kill each other? I've been told it by a few people now.

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:
I've never heard of that.if one was a lot bigger than then maybe. I know people house them with bearded dragons, water dragons and other large skinks without trouble. Idk

I've never heard of that.if one was a lot bigger than then maybe. I know people house them with bearded dragons, water dragons and other large skinks without trouble. Idk

Haha ok, thanks. I think i'll keep them together because they have always been fine. If anything goes wrong i'll separate them but i highly doubt anything would happen.

Unfortunately it isn't usually a case of "if" they will fight, but more of a case of "when".

If you have a look in Dr. Danny Brown's latest book "a guide to keeping Australian skinks in captivity" on page 174 he states that T. scincoides are the most aggressive of skink species and should be housed individually.
They can and possibly will injure or kill one another at some point so keeping them together is entirely your risk.
My suggestion is to separate them to prevent any issues but it's entirely up to you.

Out of interest, how big is your enclosure now? How big will the new one be?

I think enclosure size is the key point here , if the enclosure is big enough where they can get away from each other and have there own separate hides then the risk is greatly reduced of them fighting .

Hmmm ok, their current tank is 5 foot and i'm tossing up on getting a 6 foot tank or moving them into an outdoor enclosure. Outdoor enclosure sounds like the better option since it can be bigger than a tank.

an out door enclosure would be a good option , but id do it in summer as then they have the whole summer to get used to being outside . [ this would depend on what state u live in ]
I have my 3 blue tongues outside in there enclosure [ im in melb] .

Ok yeah, i know a breeder that keeps some of his reptiles in an outdoor enclosure so i'll have a look at his.
I might keep them in tanks now and as you said, move them into an outdoor enclosure in spring/summer when it's warmer.
So if they're in an outdoor enclosure that's say 3 meters long and 1.5m wide, would they both be fine in there? I've got a lot of rocks, logs and caves so i think they'd be ok.
Thanks for the help!

Ok yeah, i know a breeder that keeps some of his reptiles in an outdoor enclosure so i'll have a look at his.
I might keep them in tanks now and as you said, move them into an outdoor enclosure in spring/summer when it's warmer.
So if they're in an outdoor enclosure that's say 3 meters long and 1.5m wide, would they both be fine in there? I've got a lot of rocks, logs and caves so i think they'd be ok.
Thanks for the help!
yeah my 3 are in an enclosure that size 3mtrs long x 1.5mtrs wide and they are fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back