convincing mum to get a python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucaroselli123

Not so new Member
Reaction score
As the title says, mum is a bit sceptical on getting a snake, I own 1 lizard and I would really love to get a snake, but mums not on board... I would love a spotted python. but Im not sure how to swing that around so she would let me get it, I have no problem with money, I have enough for an enclosure with UVB and everything, its just convincing mum :/

Well the question that I would ask is why not ? Maybe she has a phobia or maybe you rent etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well the chat usually goes something like " ill go on about a snake and how good they are as pets" and she says " either not this again or she says no snake because I said no snake.

You're 15. Your Mum has rules. Sometimes you've gotta live by them. Wait until you've got a job and your own place, then go nuts. :)

I convinced my mother by making a deal, that I would get 100% (or close) on every exam in school and then I could get a snake. I got about 96% in everything, so there came a snake :p You could maybe make a similar deal? Tell her that snakes live in a tub for the first year or two of their life, start off about the size of a pencil, eat a single mouse every week and make no noise, no smell and biting is laughable. They require nothing at all, and if you already have a handle on your lizard, then a snake is cake.

If you could even remotely swing her around, you're welcome to come to my house and have a look at how things are done. I even have some very cute little babies that she could cuddle with to try and convince her =D

Like she is so 2 minded and hard to understand, like I go herping and she is all cool with that, and she is cool with my lizard and she touches him and that, even at the zoo she will ocasionally touch a reptile. but then when it comes to a captive snake, she will find any and every excuse to let me down easy.

Try to understand it from her perspective. If she's afraid of snakes, it's going to be very hard to un-learn that behaviour. Why should she have to suck it up every time she thinks about going near your bedroom? On top of that, if your snake escaped, you'd never live it down. (You can say it won't happen, but it's hard to prevent.)

Be gentle with her, the harder you push the more likely she'll keep resisting. You might have to wait until you move out (trust me, it's not that long a wait). Or consider notechistiger's suggestion and see if there isn't a compromise you can come to.

If she is afraid of them, you could consider finding someone to gently introduce her to one of their snakes and explain that they're safe (and possibly that they're not slimy pests that will kill the cat). Doesn't matter how hard she tries, she may never get over it. And she has to want to get over it.

show your mum a Hatchie spotted I will email u some if you want but in person is better, or just build and enclosure and just be like well got to put something in it now I've spent all this time on it. im 15 and both these little tricks helped me and will hopefully help you or take her too your local expo show her a great range of everything.

You could just do what I did and rock up home with a massive diamond python, she was not impressed. But we came to the decision I could keep it but the enclosure had to stay in the shed.

I have the same issue with my wife at the moment. If you show her different snakes you like she may find one she prefers. My wife liked the diamond and a stimi I showed her last night. So I am slowly nudgging her. Give me 9mths and I should have one.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Get a dog instead, preferably a puppy. When it starts acting like a puppy and destroying everything in site, a snake locked up in an enclosure won't seem like such a bad idea.
How I convinced my ex-wife.
I have an ex-wife but still have reptiles, tells you how awesome they are to have in your life I guess...

Agree with no nagging. That will just set your Mum's mind. Try talking about reptiles in general with your Mum, and like Notechistiger said, try working out a reward thing, your exams, chores, anything. As hard as it sounds, patience is required.

^ I would try the reward thing as well. From the perspective of a mum, I would be more inclined to allow something if I thought it would be of some benefit to my girls (education wise especially). Having said that, if the reason is that your mum is terrified of snakes, which might be, then you have little hope of convincing her I think. I had to wait until I was out of mums house.

If you have proven yourself responsible with the lizard I would also suggest maybe finding someone who has snakes that you could take mum along to and see how you handle them.

If she wants to see a hatchy here's one
a2yqeby2.jpg

In the end though, since she hasn't given you a specific reason, you'll need to convince her to tell you why before you can convince her to change her mind!

Gods luck :D

This is the way I probably would have handled it.

1) Get some paper work together, and present it to her all in one hit. ( stuff like maximum pyhton size, feeding schedule, enclosure sizes for adults and hatchlings, all the nitty gritty stuff )
2) discuss her concerns with her ( she may say " because I said so " and being a mother she has the right to, but there is probably more to it than that )
3) when you know the concerns, you can plan around it. ( eg.. escaping, enclosure size and what not )
4) try to compromise like others have said ( chores, school work )
5) If you get this far, don't rush out and buy the first one, try and introduce her to hatchlings and adults first ( this might help with future purchases )
6) If all else fails just "BEG" and play on the " Mother / Son " bond.

Good luck.

Wasn't there a similar thread where someone made the following hilarious suggestion:

Start to beg for something like a tattoo or a motorcycle; don't let up and nag and nag... When you've really exhausted them, put on your saddest most resigned face and ask, "Ok fine. Can I get a snake instead?" :lol:

Wasn't there a similar thread where someone made the following hilarious suggestion:

Start to beg for something like a tattoo or a motorcycle; don't let up and nag and nag... When you've really exhausted them, put on your saddest most resigned face and ask, "Ok fine. Can I get a snake instead?" :lol:

Hahaha. My misses said u bring a snake & you get a divorce hahaha
Considering the benefits of divorce and thought not yet mid way though building a house lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

13 years ago, I wanted to get a snake. My wife said if we got a snake, she would divorce me. So we got a beardie instead. Now we have a house full of pythons, dragons, skinks, geckos and monitors. We are as addicted as each other now.

I am 14 and have the same issue 1 lizard would love a snake and i think the closest to convinced my mum has ever been was when we went to the Illawarra expo last week

the advice given on this thread sounds convincing I might try it over the course of the next few weeks :)

I will give you some advice from a parents perspective and maybe you can take something away from it. Do not beg, as this will just make her dig her heels in even more, Do not try and trick her into it as parents will see right through your trickery and then the situation will become worse for you, do be honest in all your approaches to the subject, 1 of the first things you need to do is sit down with your mum with a nice cup of tea or coffee and ask your mum is it a fear of snakes that is causing her to say no all the time, or is it some other reason, i know with my son i would not even entertain the idea of him getting a snake before he was 16 because of so many broken promises, be honest with yourself and think about all the things you have told your mum you will do that never happened as this might also be in the back of her mind that if you lose interest after 6 months or so is she the 1 that will be left to look after the snake (so many kids start with great intentions but all sorts of other things change their minds) try and get your mother to do a joint project with you to source as much information as you can get and put it all together in a folio, then try and get her to a local breeder to handle a well behaved spotty hatchy, often being able to handle a small 1 can change their minds, make sure that in your research you include availability and prices of the feed items your snake will need also put in your research the locale of a reptile vet (ordinary vets can often misdiagnose reptile ailments) Above all when your mum says no it is usually for a good reason, we get no pleasure from saying no to our children. I don't know what your family situation is like but maybe a round table meeting with the whole family can get good (if not satisfactory) results, Remember everything we do is for your growth whether you agree at the moment or not. :) ............................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back