Random tail drop!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickGeee

Reaction score
I was pretty upset when I checked on my geckos this morning to find one if my males had just- out if the blue dropped his tail!!!
I can't seem to find it, and have no idea why he would've done it! Could it be the female with him? There was no crickets in his enclosure at the time.
Thanks
5u9ugupu.jpg

If you can't find it i would suggest it is now in your females tummy. He would have only dropped it because the female was hanging onto it.

Stress can cause a tail to drop, as well as fighting. I would keep them separate until you intend to breed to help prevent loss of tails. (As well as immature breeding)

Stress can cause a tail to drop, as well as fighting. I would keep them separate until you intend to breed to help prevent loss of tails. (As well as immature breeding)
Immature breeding? They are both two years of age, but I have seperated them.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never noted stress among them, they were both feeding last night.

If you cant find it best bet is the female has bitten his tail and swallowed it. How many crickets each did they get?

Rick

Sorry wasnt sure how old they were (no offence intended)

Is there any possibility something in the tank could of fallen on his tail?

We keep all of ours individually to help prevent tail loss as unfortunately they dont have a direct way of showing stress and unless they can be watched 24/7 you won't know if one is being dominant

If you cant find it best bet is the female has bitten his tail and swallowed it. How many crickets each did they get?

Rick
I'd say 3-4-5 each depending on when they were fed last time.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry wasnt sure how old they were (no offence intended)

Is there any possibility something in the tank could of fallen on his tail?

We keep all of ours individually to help prevent tail loss as unfortunately they dont have a direct way of showing stress and unless they can be watched 24/7 you won't know if one is being dominant
Nah don't worry about it, I reckon it was the female, she is pretty unpredictable as she is a wildcaught (on licence)

Yeah this happened with mine when I first started keeping knobbies.
Now I keep them separate and even the juveniles after about 4 months need to be separated.

Try to keep him well fed and dust with calcium/vitamin powder every 2 out of 3 feeds to give him the best chance to put on a nice fat regenerated tail asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back