Vintage snake bite kits (Pre 1960)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeman478

Reaction score
So, it's been ages since i have been on here. I'm interested to see if anyone else collects these things. I have a serious fascination with them and currently have about 50 odd complete kits and various odds and ends. Some Australian, Some South African but mostly US manufactured kits. The oldest is from about 1915 with the latest being about 1960. If you got any you don't want any more then feel free to PM me.

Hi snakeman478, what are the usual make up of these kits? I take it these were the days of bleeding and sucking the venom out?

You can still buy full kits in Asia
Tourniquet
Scalpel
Wound suction device
Herbal ointment
All included with complete instructions to help make the victim very dead faster

Even WHO website recommends tourniquets for cobra bite

Interesting. There's 70+ listed on eBay (US site), several pre 60's.

You can still buy full kits in Asia
Tourniquet
Scalpel
Wound suction device
Herbal ointment
All included with complete instructions to help make the victim very dead faster

Even WHO website recommends tourniquets for cobra bite

LOL longqi when i read that i was having a drink, suffice to say i now have a mess to clean up. :) .....................................Ron

junglepython2 these certainly were the days of the cut and suck method. Each kit usually contains a tourniquet, ammonia inhalants, an antiseptic vial, a cutter/lancet, a suction device of some sort, grease to lube the suction device and 2 band aids. longqi current day kits with the cut and suck method are also made and marketed in the US to this day. Companies like Coglan's and Rothco sell hundreds of them weekly from what I was told by a camping shop in Iowa I recently rang. Silly bloody Americans. Will get some pics of my collection and post them up. The South African kits are some serious bits of hardware and majorly rare. They are my favourites. Also longqi, do you know anywhere online I could buy some of the current day Asian kits? They are still kind of fun to add to the collection. Or even better vintage asian kits. Cheers.

image.jpg
Up to over 100 different kits now. From what i am told. Australia's largest private collection.

The South African kits contain very high quality stainless steel syringes and needles, the anivenom bottles are also stored inside the own individual wooden boxes. They are very neat kits. But rare. And very expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

What you see on the table there is the culmination of 2 years continuous non-stop searching and an investment of just over $8000.

We will grab you a few next time we see them
A yayasan up here was selling loads as fundraisers only a couple of weeks ago until we put them right
They now sell our posters and a stretch bandage
Theirs was basic suction kit model

Hey what are in the vials on the right?
Those are the lancets. They often come with a cap on each end, the lancet at one and a chemical treatment at the other. Conde's Crystal or some such. You carried them round with you in the dark old days. They worked really well unless you got bitten by a venomous snake and envenomated.

Spot on Peter. The lancets are the most sought after kits as they are very hard to find these days, especially overseas manufactured lancets. They are also a personal favourite of mine along with the South African Fitzsimons and SAIMR kits. The late 1800s and early 1900s French Michel Legros kits are also a very neat kit.

Those are the lancets. They often come with a cap on each end, the lancet at one and a chemical treatment at the other. Conde's Crystal or some such. You carried them round with you in the dark old days. They worked really well unless you got bitten by a venomous snake and envenomated.

Thanks for that.

While you have only been collecting for a short time I feel you know have a very important collection there.

Did you want to sell it at all kyle89? Always looking to add new kits to the collection. I'm up to 154 different kits now. The worlds leading expert on things snake bite kit related, Dave Fogel from the US, has recently confirmed I have the largest, most varied collection of vintage snake bite kits, and related paraphernalia in the world. But the more the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back