Frog identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

007_lizards

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently returned from a trip just north of Newcastle and while away I found these frogs that I couldn't identify so I was wondering if anyone could. The first frog was common around the area, but the second was much smaller and was the only one we found that looked like that. I'm not sure if it is just a young individual and is the same species, or if it is a different species altogether.

P4171279.jpgP4171284.jpg

P4171288.jpgP4171287.jpg

Thanks in advance

Going by markings, the brown behind the eye and the stripe down the middle, the first may be a Striped Marsh Frog.

The second I'd hazard a guess at being a Wallum Froglet.

I'm no frog expert, so wait for someone smarter.

I agree that the first one is most likely a striped marsh frog, Limnodynastes peroni. It is definitely in the Limnodynastes genus and has the right markings, its just a little less smooth looking than the striped marsh frogs we get around Brisbane.

As for the second one, I do think it is probably in the Crinia genus but I doubt it is the wallum froglet, Crinia tinnula, which is only found in wallum habitats. It is much more likely that it is eastern common froglet, Crinia signifera. These are widespread and have extensive variation in colouration even within the same population. The best way to distinguish all of the Crinia genus is to look at the pattern on their bellies which may make it hard to make a 100% ID.

Were frogs calling when you found these? Cause you could try to listen to the calls of these species and see if they sound familiar. Calls can be more accurate in identifying frog species in some situations.

I agree that the first one is most likely a striped marsh frog, Limnodynastes peroni. It is definitely in the Limnodynastes genus and has the right markings, its just a little less smooth looking than the striped marsh frogs we get around Brisbane.

As for the second one, I do think it is probably in the Crinia genus but I doubt it is the wallum froglet, Crinia tinnula, which is only found in wallum habitats. It is much more likely that it is eastern common froglet, Crinia signifera. These are widespread and have extensive variation in colouration even within the same population. The best way to distinguish all of the Crinia genus is to look at the pattern on their bellies which may make it hard to make a 100% ID.

Were frogs calling when you found these? Cause you could try to listen to the calls of these species and see if they sound familiar. Calls can be more accurate in identifying frog species in some situations.

Yes, the frogs were calling, though it was frog no. 1 who was calling, not no. 2. We only found one frog like the one of number 2, but I didn't get a picture of its belly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back