GTP-mice to rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarrah

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ive just purchased a 3 year old native GTP bred by Ray Feild. My question is she loves her mice, absolutely refuses rats. Have you guys got any ideas to convert her over? Im worried that if I try the tying method is may be too much for her to digest.

Thanks

There is no real need to convert your GTP from mice to rats. If she refuses rats why force the issue?
In fact, some of the top GTP breeders like Rico Walder have adopted feeding exclusively mice, even to their adult females. One adult mouse/week is sufficient and may reduce the risk of prolapse.

Try defrosting rats and mice in the same water, or rub a mouse onto a rat. One they get established onto mice it is hard to change them over.
If you have a large female GTP around 5 and a half 6 ft it needs rats, the smaller types you can get away with a couple of adult mice in a feed.
Even a young here that would be around 1 metre or bit over ,two adult mice make just a moderate bulge.

I only feed mice to all my gtps, all are very healthy weight. I would worry to much if it dosnt eat rat.

i dont feed mine rats at all anymore i changed over from feeding rats to mice over a year ago and there all still alive and looking great. They are a lot more active as there not sitting there digesting a larger prey item then needed. And still grow very well. As mentioned above by bushman, most large very well know gtp breeders overseas feed only mice.

Hey guys I had posted this in the show is your greens thread and Daz was kind enough to send me a PM about it. Thanks for the replies though everyone, she's happy so I'm now happy :) Also, Greenmad and Daz, how many mice per feeding session do you give? I fed her last night and she's looking for more. I haven't given her anything more though, just the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rats come in all sizes ,i feed juveniles pink mice and fuzzies and when they get big enough turn them onto rats if they will take them.
The big adult female GTPs i give them about weaner rat size ,males either the weaner rat size or adult mice.
Rats are easier to breed for a collection in general , mice are alright if you have lots of them i suppose ,i use both and dont have kinks and prolapses.
Just commonsense that you pick the right sizes for individuals, a five or six ft long carpet will eat mice too if you feed them ,appropriate size rat is better.
Rats build condition ,mice sustain unless you have plenty.

I feed everything once a week one mouse, they all grow a nice slower rate which is what im trying to achieve instead of just pumping them up to size to breed. I find feeding them this diet keeps them very active and not just sitting on a perch digesting feeds all the time.

Zulu
I started doing this after talking with Rico Walder about his diets and what he feeds his large collection. And in my experience just feeding rats makes them larger then what im wanting. Considering most wild gtp adults weigh under 900g with a few that go a little over, feeding mice i have found the growth weight perfect for my animals. Everyone does things different and im not saying feeding rats is not a good thing but its not what i do with my animals.

I feed everything once a week one mouse, they all grow a nice slower rate which is what im trying to achieve instead of just pumping them up to size to breed. I find feeding them this diet keeps them very active and not just sitting on a perch digesting feeds all the time.

Zulu
I started doing this after talking with Rico Walder about his diets and what he feeds his large collection. And in my experience just feeding rats makes them larger then what im wanting. Considering most wild gtp adults weigh under 900g with a few that go a little over, feeding mice i have found the growth weight perfect for my animals. Everyone does things different and im not saying feeding rats is not a good thing but its not what i do with my animals.

Do what works in the long run for you,everyone has oppinions ,rats come most sizes ,except for pink mice sizes, and they feed a collection alround .

Thats what i wrote zulu, this is what i do. And as i also said everyone does things different.

Thanks Greenmad! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zulu
we do the same as you Greenmad , 1 adult mouse per animal once a week and they all do just fine

I feed reptiles including the greens randomly according to there needs, if they dont look they need feeding they may go long periods with nothing or they may get more if i think they need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back