Bit of a strange one

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We have a bit of a dilemma here

One neighbour has a cat they love dearly
Large monitor defended itself and beat up the cat
So they asked us to remove it

Problem is that the monitor has lived in the ceiling of house next door for years
Talked to those people
They will let us remove it if thats the only way but they enjoy watching it wander around and dont mind that it lives upstairs
They also like their neighbours and dont want to see the cat get hurt

Im trying to approach this as diplomatically as possible
Not showing my aversion to cats that annoy wildlife

Access for the monitor is from a tree that forms part of the fenceline
So blocking its access to the cats yard is not easy

If we dont move it bit worried the cat owner might call someone else who will turn monitor into sate

So what are your suggestions for best fix

Simple, push the cat in front of a car. That way the cat dies an "accidental" death and the monitor isn't blamed. Both the neighbours won't hate you (unless you get seen doing it) and the monitor gets to stay. That way everybody is happy... except the cat.

Last edited:
Simple, push the cat in front of a car. That way the cat dies an "accidentle" death and the monitor isn't blamed. Both the neighbours won't hate you (unless you get seen doing it) and the monitor gets to stay. That way everybody is happy... except the cat.

Although that was my first thought and still my preferred solution. in this case I want to try and fix this with good result for all parties

I dont imagine the cat, nor the monitor will really want to cross paths again if possible. Unless the monitor wants to eat the cat.
What Im getting at is there mightnt be a problem anymore. Id 'convince' the neighbour that theyve learnt their lesson and are unlikely to fight again. Then wait and see.

If it happens again I dont see any other solution than to remove the monitor, or perhaps remove the cat...............s head.

Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

I think the only real option then would be to restrict access to the cats yard. It might be a chainsaw job.

I dont imagine the cat, nor the monitor will really want to cross paths again if possible. Unless the monitor wants to eat the cat.

I'm assuming its an Asian Water Monitor, which would mean that the cat will be on his menu sooner or later.

Possibly suggest to the cat owner that their animal is a threat to a native species (not only reptiles) and that they need to keep the cat inside.

Longqi, play the monitors are notorious for eating snakes, even large one's card!

Let the cat owners know that the cat will ultimately avoid the monitor and survive unhampered killing and eating everything in its path...............(off topic).

Just release one of you retics in the area and there will not be a cat problem anymore, because without the cat (via humans) there would not be a problem! Stupid Humans!!! And cats.

Build them a cat run or get them to stay out with the cat when it's let out to keep an eye on it and get up it if it's stalking wildlife (the odd insect is ok like flies and roaches) and don't let it out at night time.

Wow, no cat people in this thread.
The problem is mainly due to owners not being out in the yard and getting up the cats if they see them stalking wildlife that results in them supposedly killing everything (which some do, especially ferals), which isn't always the case, ours are raised indoors and I was usually outside or nearby when 1 of them was in the yard when we had one and she wasn't keen on the outside as much as cats raised outdoors, so she usually stuck close to me/within site of the doors and windows anyway and wasn't outside for long periods of a time during the day, kept in at night time.
We still had plenty of little dragons in our yard, seasonal frogs and nesting birds for the several seasons we were at places with no trouble and we had a dog too, got in trouble if he stalked/chased stuff except for the odd insects and plenty of flies.

Also due to people that don't get their cats neutered and let them out all the time and don't keep them in at night time which is their main hunting and mingling time.
One of ours isn't neutered but but we take responsibility with her raising her even more indoors than the main cat until we can afford to get it done (will need microchip, rego and immunisations when we do, so not cheap).
She gets in trouble for going out onto the balcony most of the time (still needs to munch on plants for good health or sunbake just outside the door) so as she can't jump off it by the shed roof near it to get down to the ground and hunt or wander and get in trouble with neighbours cats(1st floor unit).
The loovers in the critter room are closed each night, so she can't get out through them if she gets in the critter room and the others she could use to reach trees beside the unit are closed enough to stop her.
So she doesn't get the chance to hunt anything except for roaches and other insects inside the unit, she's only allowed in the critter room when we are in there and gets plenty of company and attention from me, the main one we have play fights with regularly.

So is mainly stupid owners, not stupid cats to be killed visciously or in cruel or sickening ways or owners not taken necessary measures to keep their cats away from neighbours cats until they are neutered and not keeping them in at their main hunting times (night time and certain parts of the day) or keeping an eye on them when they do let them out to stop them killing herps, birds and small mammals/marsupials.

Last edited:
So if that was your dog and a large native animal broke into your yard and it got in a fight with it and hurt you wouldn't relocate the wildlife outside the property or want something wild that could hurt your dog next door moved?

I think a few of you are so biased against cats that you can't think of things in the way of what would you do if the same thing happened to a pet you do like ie a pet dog.
I agree cats should be kept an eye on when out, not let out as long as people often do let them out for and kept inside at night time and be neutered once they are able to be or once you can afford it if extra life costs keep coming up and getting in the way and if that is the case raise them as fully indoor cats until you can afford to.
If owners did those things the problems wouldn't be as huge as they are now and would be way less feral cats and other destructive pets that turn feral or have bubs that end up dumped by unresponsible owners.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the monitor would have come off second best, the cat most probably did. In which case I don't see the cat straying too close to the territory of the monitor anyway and perhaps explaining this to said feline-owning neighbor would quell any dis-ease in the neighborhood.

On the farm we would keep an eye on our dogs and cat and in any instance that one or another encountered almost any reptile that perked it's curiosity we noticed they usually learned to give wide berth to anything with scales or spines for the duration of their natural lives. I remember seeing the cat stalking a race-horse goanna... it never went far from the house after that.

Whether or not people should keep cats is irrelavant - if the cat dies, it's owner is going to resent the monitor even more (whether it was responsible for it's death or not).

I'm guessing that Longqi's biggest problem is the owners, not the animals themselves. If we were looking at a responsible cat owner and a region where native animals were protected, then his job would be easier. As it stands he's either got to attempt to guarantee that the monitor won't get into the cat's yard, or convince the neighbours that the monitor is enough of an asset to take the risk. Building a cat run is effortful and some cat owners think it's cruel to confine a cat to a small space, hence letting them roam free in the first place.

Is it possible to stop the monitor from climbing the tree? I've seen zoos put sheet metal or similarly smooth materials around trees and on fences to stop lizards climbing them. May have to remove a few branches here and there as well. Like So. Or is that it's access to the house, as well as over the fence?

Hmm a race- horse goanna? Are they the ones with saddles?

seriously, it is a simple solution to a dilemma that faces every snake catcher and reptile relocator. You have to be diplomatic and explain that ultimately the cat owner must take full responsibility for the cat.
If the cat goes then they are sad, if the monitor goes then those people are sad.
The cat and the monitor can co-exist, but an explanation of both animals natural instincts and behaviour should be given to both parties.
Get all the people together and sit down and talk it over. The main thing is that the cat owner realises that there are dangers to a free roaming cat from native predators and so the best thing for the safety of the cat is for it to be in a cage or compound /run so it won't get molested.
Just remember diplomacy and (even if ya gotta fake it) compassion for the cat and cat owner , with a genuine solution the final goal. Maybe they can all get together and build a cat avairy, and then everyones talking, and everyone knows the rules.

I would assume most people who have posted haven't been to Bali.. Once you've been there you'd under stand there animal problems.. However There didn't seem to be as many wild dogs last time I was there in 2011

I'm a cat person... but I don't believe they should be allowed outside to roam unsupervised. As a matter of fact both the council in my area, the RSPCA and my vet all agree that cats should be kept indoors. It's not always easy to transition an outdoor cat to indoor once it's become used to the great outdoors, but it can be done... my kitty gets to go outside in the back yard as long as I'm there and he's perfectly content with it... I think it's so irresponsible to let cats roam wild; you wouldn't let your dog do it and cats are just as susceptible to being run over, getting into fights, being poisoned by cat-hating herpers,,, not to mention killing wildlife and beating up poor monitors in their own territory.

Didn't mean to get all ranty; my point is that if it were me I would try to convince the cat owners to keep their cat indoors. Depending on the council it's actually illegal not to contain your cat to your property... good luck :)

Hmm a race- horse goanna? Are they the ones with saddles?

seriously, it is a simple solution to a dilemma that faces every snake catcher and reptile relocator. You have to be diplomatic and explain that ultimately the cat owner must take full responsibility for the cat.
If the cat goes then they are sad, if the monitor goes then those people are sad.
The cat and the monitor can co-exist, but an explanation of both animals natural instincts and behaviour should be given to both parties.
Get all the people together and sit down and talk it over. The main thing is that the cat owner realises that there are dangers to a free roaming cat from native predators and so the best thing for the safety of the cat is for it to be in a cage or compound /run so it won't get molested.
Just remember diplomacy and (even if ya gotta fake it) compassion for the cat and cat owner , with a genuine solution the final goal. Maybe they can all get together and build a cat avairy, and then everyones talking, and everyone knows the rules.

I will not suggest cutting down the tree as suggested before because then the monitor could not access the ceiling and its a lose lose situation for the monitor
Cat owner is pretty adamant the monitor must go
Not interested in keeping the cat inside during the day when the monitor is hunting
[Not being fair in my opinion]

Monitor house owner likes her rent free lodger
But also likes her neighbours
[too nice in my opinion]

Monitor definitely won their only encounter
Has a bite mark and couple of visible scratches
But I only viewed it in the ceiling and didnt disturb it until I get this sorted

Unlike Aus very little wildlife here is protected so I cannot use that card

Have a strong feeling the cat owners are more worried about themselves than just the cat

Have taken everything on board
Will meet them together tomorrow

Excellent. I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution that works for everyone in this instance.Perhaps when I decide to travel to Bali I would love to meet you and your neighbor's reptilian friend :D I wouldn't mind meeting your other neighbor's feline friend either, I feel that all animals can co-exist within certain grounds and as long as there is an understanding betweend handlers/the environment no issue is too big to overcome :D :D :D

I love all animals and I hate seeing any get injured or killed.
I love cats - I have 3. But they are 100% indoor cats.
It is the responsibility of the pet owner to do the right thing. Keep your pet away from danger and keep the wildlife safe from your pet. This applies to cats and dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back