I have to start somewhere

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have decided that as a gift to myself for my 23rd Birthday I will get a yearling South Western Carpet.

I want to get a basic vivarium set up even before I get my scaly friend who will initially dwell in a smaller enclosure such as a medium to large click-clack just so that I have plenty of time playing with the thermostats and getting lights and heating in the right places etc.

It was suggested to me that Gumtree.com was a great place to look for vivariums that are already equipped with light fixtures and the likes but it seems to me both quality wise and price wise that I may as well either go a basic DIY or just purchase a vivarium and all the fittings and electrical equipment (timers, heat lamps/pads and thermostats) as it all looks to be about the same to me.

Another alternative would be to ask if anyone here who lives in WA (Perth preferably) might be looking at selling a basic set up fit for a young adult South Western Carpet, globes/mats would not be required although fittings would make removing any error in the design due to misinterpreted instructions on my part much easier.

Yet another alternative would be if anyone could point me to any excellent tutorials here for building or converting furniture into an appropriate vivarium for a semi-arboreal python. I have taken a look around but don't quite know what I am looking at at this point in time :3

Any feed back, advice and links to decent texts will be much appreciated!

Got your license sorted? I bred Swcp this year. Great first snakes. It's what I started with too.

I am waiting for my paycheck so that I can get my license sorted but will be done by late June no problems. I see you are in Perth sir Snowman :D you wouldn't have any second-hand enclosures for sale also would you? I would be most interested in having a look at your hatchys maybe early June if you still have some around?

Thanks for the links Ramy, I have marked them for my to read list, got a mote visiting tonight so will get to those tomorrow morning :)

I am waiting for my paycheck so that I can get my license sorted but will be done by late June no problems. I see you are in Perth sir Snowman :D you wouldn't have any second-hand enclosures for sale also would you? I would be most interested in having a look at your hatchys maybe early June if you still have some around?

Thanks for the links Ramy, I have marked them for my to read list, got a mote visiting tonight so will get to those tomorrow morning :)
No spare enclosures at the moment. But my hatchies wouldn't need one until Novemberish anyway.

excellent that will probably be perfect anyway. The longer I have to research the better... I am paranoid when it comes to animals, I love all of nature's critters to bits and absolutely despise the idea that I may one day make a mistake that could be fatal to one or any for that matter. I don't even use fly spray in my home and if I see a mouse I simply do what I can to re-locate it or shoo it from the rental I live in.What age can you sex them? because if I do get my hands on a serpentine friend before then I would like to be sure of obtaining a hatchy of the opposite sex, just incase I do decide to breed at a later date. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back