Advice Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayleen

Reaction score
Good morning Everyone!

My name is Rayleen and I am getting a diamond python.

My daughter used to breed frogs and has given me the 5 foot fish tank she used.
I have read a lot of conflicting information regarding converting a fish tank to a snake enclosure. Has anyone successfully done this? If so, how & what advice can you give me.

Thanks, Rayleen

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rayleen,

Seeing as there aren't too many replies I will have a crack at it. ( Mind you, I am still pretty new myself and I will only give my opinion, hopefully someone else can chime in ).

From what I am aware of, glass tanks are better for humidity and keeping species that like that environment, they also let heat escape a lot easier than say a timber or melamine enclosure.

What I would probably look into ( and these ideas were mentioned to me when I had pretty much the same question ) is:

1) Glass tank above and cabinet underneath for snake to use. ( I have seen these and they are pretty impressive, but a hole has to be drilled in floor of tank through to cabinet )
2) Try to insulate somehow ( home made background or i guess outsides covered with foam sheets might work )
3) Heat tile might be something to look into as an option.

Like I said, I am still pretty new myself, but that may be a few options to look at until some of the more experienced members jump in.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks Ben,

What I was thinking of doing is using Polystyrene on the sides and the back of the tank and then on top of this using 3D Background boards. What are your thoughts?

Rayleen

Aquariums really aren’t ideal for most snakes because of the heat loss although ironically it might help with a Diamond since they don’t like a lot of heat. I probably wouldn’t bother with the polystyrene to start with and just set up a basking spot rather than trying to control the ambient temperature.

What sort of lid do you have for it? The other down side with aquariums is that most lids people have for them are too open and so humidity control is a problem.

Thanks for that. The tank lid is made of a fine mesh with 2 large lids. There is also a hood that goes over the top of the tank. My daughter used this tank when she was breeding frogs. Do you think this may be a problem? I do appreciate your feedback as I'm so new at this.

I am very new to this so most of what I know comes from the amount of reading and the conversations I have had with keepers and breeders in the past.

I took a liking to an all glass vivarium and the owner of the shop selling them who also breeds reptiles mentioned that to start with snakes prefer as little exposure to the outside as possible and maybe keeping only one face of the aquarium would work better than having all sides open, it allows your friend to feel more enclosed and secure should it wish to hide. Covering three sides would be advisable and as glass is not a very good retainer of heat I would be inclined to wrap this in an insulating material and even possibly going as far as building a snug-fitting wooden "sleeve" for it if you get my drift, leaving the front and top open for observing and access.

As far as it having been used previously for breeding frogs as long as you take the time and effort to ensure it is properly cleaned and disinfected it shouldn't prove any issue.

Wish you luck with your future scaly friend! Hope I have been helpful!

as sax has already said, diamonds do not like a lot of heat. so an aquarium may not be soo bad. To keep light down you could paint the exterior of the glass or use something like black contact on the exterior. However being a Morelia species they do like to climb so I prefer a tall enclosure over a long enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back