Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
Hey. Has anyone used ecofibre hemp horse bedding as a substrate for their pythons? Their website says that it is used for that, but would like to know if anyone has tried it?
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I have used it with my carpets and it is good but I know creatures of habit used it and had troubles with his bhp's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the hemp as shown in the pics by Chimerapro and found it quite good (I believe it was the type that Wokka from Rodent Farm was selling at SOFAR last year).

I recently say some hemp bedding advertised at a local produce store but when I saw some it was all 'fibre' and almost 'woolly' looking. I would not even consider this type.

Ive been using the hemp stuff for a while now for.my coastals and.my Murray darling. It was recommended to me by a friend who uses it for.her.stimpson :) Ive had no problems with it and it looks nice too :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I have used the hemp as shown in the pics by Chimerapro and found it quite good (I believe it was the type that Wokka from Rodent Farm was selling at SOFAR last year).

I recently say some hemp bedding advertised at a local produce store but when I saw some it was all 'fibre' and almost 'woolly' looking. I would not even consider this type.
I was involved in trialing the Agrisorb product as it is grown near here. I use it for my rats but there are different qualities relating to particle size and dust as well as the cross fibers. Obviously the cleaner sample costs more to produce.Mice seem to like the wooly content for building nests but I expect smaller reptiles could get tangled in it. I did a few trials refining it for reptiles but the economies of scale were not there to cover the marketing costs. I wanted to encourage use of a local by-product rather than bring in Aspen bedding from the other side of the world.I believe hemp is a far more absorbant product but without the pretty packaging it is hard to sell for reptile use.

6ydeqemu.jpg
well this stuff looks like a mix of some Wooley some solid bits and finer stuff. I may try it in the base of my bredli enclosure as he has 2 raised platforms he can eat from that are carpeted.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I haven't used that brand but I use one from a reptile supplier @ $22 / 12kg.
There is minimal dust and I find that there is no urine odour so it appears to absorb it.
I have tried other substrates but hemp is the best for me.

Still not as cheap as the recycled paper cat litter, such as breeders choice.

[MENTION=5696]gozz[/MENTION] How do you find it for elapids mate, does it soak up the smell and allow them to dig around without getting super dusty?

[MENTION=39504]tahnia666[/MENTION] yes it probably looks better but cost wins out for us lol [MENTION=5696]gozz[/MENTION] why did you find breeders choice terrible? We've had no problems with itin with our pythons.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Very true [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] :) you guys have a fair collection though, I only have 3 pythons in displays, and 2more that will be soon, I may just change my tune, when I'm buying for 5 enclosures .... :)

I've got them already.... 2 little children's hatchies.... Cuuuuute [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back