Suddenly aggressive childreni?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bensk48

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused....
I have a chidrens python which is just on a year old now, over the past 2 weeks he's become really aggressive whenever I even go near his enclosure and strikes at me through the glass.

This snake has always been really placid, gets handled about 2-3 times a week for about 15 mins since I got him when he was 3 months old, has always been a perfect eater & has been fed religiously every 5 days never once refusing a meal, he's currently on fuzzy rats, he sheds perfectly and his temp at the warm end of his enclosure is between 29-31deg

I can't think why he'd change so suddenly, could he still be hungry? The rats he eats leave a condsiderable sized lump in him so I've never tried giving him a second one straight away.

Is there anything else that may have caused this aggression?

Its probably defensive rather than aggressive

I would increase the food first
See if it calms down with more tucker
Bigger meals less often would be my suggestion

Otherwise something has changed and it doesnt like it
Only you can find out what that was

Think about what might have changed to stress it out and make it defensive:

Have you changed or moved it's enclosure?
Have you changed your daily routine? increased traffic/noise or having the lights on for longer during the day?
An injury or illness may stress it out?
Have you noticed any changes in temperature? Does his enclosure have a cool end too? Have you verified that his heating is still working? Could a drop in room temperature have affected his enclosure?
Can he still smell rat?

Just a few thoughts because I can't know from here. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Longqi is right, can't hurt to try a bigger meal.

This time of year they are wanting to bulk up for the cold months. Hence being aggressive for food.

I agree I would bump up his food. I have 6 adult childreni and they are on bigger rats then that. If you haven't changed anything else like his hide water bowl etc then try a bigger feed or give him 2 of the smaller ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back