A little confused with WA standards...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have tried looking around the DPAW site but like any government funded program's website it isn't the easiest to navigate. Also I couldn't find the information I was looking for.

At first I was under the impression that as long as it is healthy for a reptile you can use pretty much any suitable substrate in an enclosure in WA. I spoke to a breeder a couple of days ago and she told me that in WA keepers and breeders are only allowed to use newspaper and pelleted newspaper as substrates in reptile enclosures. I thought this was odd seeing as I have seen people using anything from sand to alpine chips and the same in a pet store I visited.
Since I have looked for any documentation by DPAW regarding this but nothing so far.

Is it something they tell you and simply do not enforce unless problems arise or is it just something I misinterpreted or that was explained incorrectly to me?

Anyone in WA with experience or who have had people from DPAW come to inspect enclosures (eg. when you got your cat5?) and what kind of feedback did they give you regarding this?

Just wanting this cleared up for me before I look at designing an enclosure, thanks :).

What you have been told is not correct. The current care sheets on the website only preclude the use of “sand or soil” with pythons. You will find the care sheet links on this page...
Reptiles and amphibians as pets - Department of Parks and Wildlife
http://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-and-animals/licences-and-permits/145-choosing-your-pet

The regulations, licence information and return sheets are n this page...

http://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-an...d-permits/134-fauna-licences?showall=&start=4
http://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-an...d-permits/134-fauna-licences?showall=&start=4

Blue

Been putting together a blog with another friend for WA first time python owners. (It's a work in progress..). It has links to all the DPAW pages etc.
You can use anything you like except for sand.

Check this out on substrate.
Substrate | WA Python Care

Sand is not allowed to be used with pythons kept as pets in WA.

As per license condition #4 , “The licensee shall at all times provide adequate and appropriate care in accordance with animal care sheet specifications.”

The care sheets at this point in time state, “Do not use sand or soil, as this is unsuitable and will harbour disease causing pathogens.”

- - - Updated - - -

I had inspections when I had cat 3 but no inspections since getting cat 5.
They are very focused in your correct paperwork and you will get a caution for using sand as substrate or breaking another license condition such as reptiles in bedrooms. If you get a caution it can stop you from upgrading your license to the next category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been putting together a blog with another friend for WA first time python owners. (It's a work in progress..). It has links to all the DPAW pages etc.
You can use anything you like except for sand.

Check this out on substrate.
Substrate | WA Python Care

Sand is not allowed to be used with pythons kept as pets in WA.

As per license condition #4 , “The licensee shall at all times provide adequate and appropriate care in accordance with animal care sheet specifications.”

The care sheets at this point in time state, “Do not use sand or soil, as this is unsuitable and will harbour disease causing pathogens.”

Thanks I have read several care sheets but I didn't think to look at the DPAW specific care sheet for those details, kinda thought there would be a standard across the board :/ learn something new every day :D thanks guys.

Thanks I have read several care sheets but I didn't think to look at the DPAW specific care sheet for those details, kinda thought there would be a standard across the board :/ learn something new every day :D thanks guys.

Yeah the DPaW one is the only one that DPaW holds you to.
There's links to the care sheets and other DPaW stuff under "LICENSING" on that link.

Is the blog live yet? I would love to check it out, sounds interesting. I have had to work pretty hard (considering the internet) to find reliable information about herps in WA, I guess that comes from having only been an industry in the state for a decade but a "one-stop" for beginner and experienced herpers in WA sounds like something that could have been done ages ago, glad to hear someone is finally doing something about it and even more glad to hear that it is someone who is clearly as experienced as yourself kind sir.

Is the blog live yet? I would love to check it out, sounds interesting. I have had to work pretty hard (considering the internet) to find reliable information about herps in WA, I guess that comes from having only been an industry in the state for a decade but a "one-stop" for beginner and experienced herpers in WA sounds like something that could have been done ages ago, glad to hear someone is finally doing something about it and even more glad to hear that it is someone who is clearly as experienced as yourself kind sir.

Yeah it's viewable.. just not finished... It's only for noob python keepers in WA... Click this >>> Substrate | WA Python Care

OK, Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm in NT, not WA, so the 'no sand or soil' regulation doesn't apply. Is it in my best interests not to use sand though, if it does indeed "harbor disease causing pathogens"? The childrens we just rehomed has about 20mm of really fine red sand as the substrate. It looks lovely, but I was curious as to it's suitability... Should I change it out for Newspaper / paper kitty litter? I was considering it, but the aesthetics of the sand are nice.
breaking another license condition such as reptiles in bedrooms.
You're not allowed to keep them in bedrooms? Again, I'm not in WA, and the wife wouldn't allow it in bedrooms anyway, but... Why?

OK, Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm in NT, not WA, so the 'no sand or soil' regulation doesn't apply. Is it in my best interests not to use sand though, if it does indeed "harbor disease causing pathogens"? The childrens we just rehomed has about 20mm of really fine red sand as the substrate. It looks lovely, but I was curious as to it's suitability... Should I change it out for Newspaper / paper kitty litter? I was considering it, but the aesthetics of the sand are nice. You're not allowed to keep them in bedrooms? Again, I'm not in WA, and the wife wouldn't allow it in bedrooms anyway, but... Why?

I think sand that is regularly changed is fine. Just some strange rules we have in WA.

Not allowed in bedrooms came about because the inspectors are not allowed in bedrooms or bathrooms without a warrant. So they decided to ban keeping reptiles in these areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Bit sad kids can't keep pet frogs or dragons in their bedrooms really.

We do have some odd rules, largely due to paranoia and the industry here only being a decade old.

The statement about sand being unsuitable and harbouring disease causing pathogens is not correct as stated. Pure sand is inorganic in nature (as against most other substrates) and bacteria need a combination of organic matter and moisture to live. There are lots of geckos, skinks, monitors and various snakes that live on and burrow into sand without issues. However, the nature of sand does vary and some forms can be sticky and fill up and block the heat pits of pythons and may even stick in nostrils. So as a general rule, just to be on the safe side, sand with pythons is not recommended. Clearly sand is not going to worry a python such as the woma.

The department’s care sheets are being rewritten by WASAH and that particular line was ear marked for correction. What has actually been done I do not know.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back