My baby spotted python wont eat...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kara-jade28

Reaction score
My baby spotted python wont eat. I bought him/her on Sunday and it has only had 3 feeds on scented pinkies (scented with skinks) she is 2 months old and was fed 2/3 weeks ago. I'm not sure what to do as this is my first snake, I'm not panicking, I'm just a bit worried as it is coming into winter and I know they slow down with their eating. Advice please?

Last edited by a moderator:
You bought her when she isn't a good feeder (ie, feeding on UNscented food)? That's a big no no for a breeder, especially when you haven't had a snake before.

First things first though, how warm is her tub? You want a baby snake warm (~34C). Up here in Queensland we've had a nice big drop in temperature recently, so she might be feeling the cold. Try to raise the ambient temperature by covering her tub with a cloth or putting her in a warmer place in the house or even putting more of the tub on the heat cord/mat (but not all of the tub). Give her a few days to get used to it being warmer and try it again.

Many snakes will eat immediately after bringing them home, so unless you're handling her every day lack of heating is more likely than stress. If you are handling her, cease doing so until she's feeding. Feeding is more important than touching her. Also ensure she has plenty of hides in her tub so she can have some privacy.

Make contact with the so called "Breeder" and arrange to get it back to them and your money back. For someone to sell a hatchie to anyone that has only had 3 feeds and scented ones at that shows how much of a parasite they are!

No hatchies should be sold under such circumstances let alone to a novice!

Last edited:
The temp is at 34C/35C at the moment. I plan to take him/her to the pet shop today to try get them to feed her. This is my first snake yes, but I have had plenty of experience just not with a snake that refuses to eat. She smells if but takes absolutely no interest in the mouse, she's more keen of trying to escape from her container. I usually cover her to keep the temp at 34C and she's super active but still wont eat. I dont handle her because I need her to eat first.

Make contact with the so called "Breeder" and arrange to get it back to them and your money back. For someone to sell a hatchie to anyone that has only had 3 feeds and scented ones at that shows how much of a parasite they are!

No hatchies should be sold under such circumstances let alone to a novice!

I for the most part agree, but not selling under any circumstances? A lot of those with experience are happy to buy non feeders and get them going themselves.

The temp is at 34C/35C at the moment. I plan to take him/her to the pet shop today to try get them to feed her. This is my first snake yes, but I have had plenty of experience just not with a snake that refuses to eat. She smells if but takes absolutely no interest in the mouse, she's more keen of trying to escape from her container. I usually cover her to keep the temp at 34C and she's super active but still wont eat. I dont handle her because I need her to eat first.

you have only had it a week give it time to settle in before offering food. After you have left her alone for a week ie no handling opening up etc then try leave the food in with her overnight.
You shouldn't be moving her around to a pet shop this wont make her eat. It will possibly only make the situation worse.

Ahh pet stores. Of course.

It doesn't really sound like she's stressed, just not super interested. Are you scenting the food you're trying to give her? If she has only taken scented food, then she won't take unscented. How are you scenting them?

You can't expect a snake that's only been feeding on scented meals to readily take mice. Sometimes they do, usually they don't.

I suggest you either take it to someone who has frozen skinks or geckos for scenting, or you take it back to the store and ask for your money back.

I could help with scenting, but it's a bit of a drive since I'm about an hour away from you.

not all pet stores are the same. i manage a pet store and would never sell a python that was not eating. i must add that i also pass on the feed, records as well. we are not about quanity, but focus more on quality. i do agree that some pet stores will sell anything, but there are those like us out there that do care about their stock.
Ahh pet stores. Of course.

It doesn't really sound like she's stressed, just not super interested. Are you scenting the food you're trying to give her? If she has only taken scented food, then she won't take unscented. How are you scenting them?

Okay, so I figured out why she isnt eating. She is just about to go through a shed, her eyes were milky today and shes also a bit dull looking. Thanks for everyones help.

I don't want to sound rude but I think it's highly unlikely your snake will just "start" eating again, not in this situation. You should probably continue not handling unless necessary and scenting pinkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back