Settling in a new hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenyseT

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I should be settling in a new Children's or Stimson's python sometime in the next month. I have done some research and I know it best to leave them alone with minimal handling for the first couple of weeks. I work at home as a family day care educator and have 4 children under 5 in the house 3 days per week. My question is where I should keep the python. Ultimately I would love him to be on display in the living area but would it be best to keep him in a quieter room away from the children for a while? Or should I put him where I intend to eventually keep him so he gets used to the noise and activity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to butt in on this thread also and ask if it's ok to keep a rough scaled python hatchie tub on my desk about a metre away from my bed, where I use my laptop at night. It seems the light has been bothering him even though I keep the display brightness VERY low and the laptop is turned away from the tub. He was active for a while last night while I was out and the lights were off, but as soon as I brought the laptop in he went back to his perch. Will he eventually get used to it, is it bad to keep them so close to electronics? It's been a week today since I got him btw.

@Tigerlily I do remember being told that snakes in bedrooms and bathrooms are a no-no as wildlife officers who decide to "drop in" aren't allowed in these rooms without a warrant but I don't know how often people actually get into trouble for it so maybe read up on that.

However with the location of juvy and hatchy snakes I have also learned that when they first arrive in a new environment they should be able to have a stress free place to get used to their new home and should be handled as infrequently as possible and no more than necessary. I do not yet own a python and don't know too much about childreni or stimsoni (I am getting a M.S.Imbricata) but I don't think high traffic and noisy environments would be ideal for a new snake in the home. Once it has calmed down and proven itself to handle well and feed well then maybe "trial" by slowly moving it to increasingly higher traffic areas of the house and watching closely to see how it responds over a period of months.
Some individuals won't be phased by the traffic but then similarly you will find individuals who will respond negatively to the higher traffic regardless as to how much time you invest in "acclimatizing" your snake to the environment.

I am sure that the same advice could be applied for your hatchy and the computer tigerlily but if the lights bother it then maybe place something opaque between the enclosure and the light source and see how that goes? I can't see electronics being too much of an issue unless they radiate a lot of heat or some form of radioactive substance, if it were next to a microwave that was always on I would be a little concerned but a laptop should be okay. I am also certain that someone with far more experience than myself will have more concrete solutions and suggestions that have been proven by their experiences with reptiles. :D

Last edited:
You should check if you are allowed to have the snake where the children may be able to access it. Strict rules on day care even in home ones.

You should check if you are allowed to have the snake where the children may be able to access it. Strict rules on day care even in home ones.

Already done Whiskers :) there's actually nothing on the NSW children's services regulations that says what animals you can or can't have. Each scheme has it's own policies on such things though but I'm lucky our coordinator is very forward thinking and opened minded. I've spoken to her about it and she thinks it will be rather exciting and a great learning experience for the children ( though they won't have any contact til it's much older ) As for the parents, all those I've spoken to are happy and after 20 years in the job, I think it's time I did something for me. If they don't want their children in the same house as a python they can always find another educator. :)

Good to hear. I have five sisters and none are reptile lovers let alone likers, lol. Three are fine and have left it up to their children if they want to hold my snake once we're all settled in. Not all the kids want to but some do, like the general population. Two of my sister's, however, really don't want their kids too but don't want to be the bad guy and say no, but are trying hard to scare them from the idea with the may bite issue. But it's something I have warned all, kids included, that it may happen. So good that your day care parents are much more calm and sensible than my sisters, and good for you standing your ground if they did have an issue with the snake. :)

Thanks [MENTION=40283]ThatGuy[/MENTION], it's funny because as of last night he's crawling around like he's been living here for years. I guess the lucky number 7 days worked! I left the laptop in the study (that's where it belongs anyway) but he didn't mind my nightlight anymore, which is great because I can actually see him doing his weird snakey contortionist dances now :) Oh and I finally got to handle him - he's definitely a keeper!!!!

[MENTION=40330]GlenyseT[/MENTION] you will be best for the first couple of weeks to keep it as far from all the noise and clatter from the kids as you can, then try introducing it to the hi traffic area a day or 2 a week for a few hours, after a month or so your hatchie and the kids should be pretty well use to each other and you could then keep it in the "kids area" permanently, just keep an eye on the hatchie and look for any stress symptoms ie hiding all the time, not eating and bad shedding, also check often that 1 of the little darlings has not played with any of the controls ie thermostat heat pad/cord or light. Have you discussed what you intend doing with all the parents ?? I know when my wife was a day carer her co-ordinater was gr8 but the parents were a nightmare. Anyway good luck with this i hope it all works out well for you. :) ..........................Ron

[MENTION=40330]GlenyseT[/MENTION] you will be best for the first couple of weeks to keep it as far from all the noise and clatter from the kids as you can, then try introducing it to the hi traffic area a day or 2 a week for a few hours, after a month or so your hatchie and the kids should be pretty well use to each other and you could then keep it in the "kids area" permanently, just keep an eye on the hatchie and look for any stress symptoms ie hiding all the time, not eating and bad shedding, also check often that 1 of the little darlings has not played with any of the controls ie thermostat heat pad/cord or light. Have you discussed what you intend doing with all the parents ?? I know when my wife was a day carer her co-ordinater was gr8 but the parents were a nightmare. Anyway good luck with this i hope it all works out well for you. :) ..........................Ron

Thanks Ron, that sounds like great advice.

Parents all ok so far. I purchased a hatchling this morning and sent them all an info sheet.
Some aren't python fans ( we get heaps of brown snakes out here and they just think of that when the word snake is mentioned) but no one kicking up a fuss. As I said earlier, after 20 years of me and the family making sacrifices because of my work, I've decided that this time I'm going to do it for me. I have great relationships with them all but I won't be offended if that want to move their kids. Don't think I'll have a problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back