My new rat set up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarwinBrianT

Reaction score
So I've had rats for some time now and everything is going well so today I spent some time and money and made this.
I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I'm not what most would call "smart" but I can make stuff. lol :)

Nice mate, how is the other set up going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well mate, it makes a great breeding rack ( thank you again ) :p this new rack will be for growing them out. :D Anyone need rats? lol

It looks great mate and a bit better constructed than mine was.

Brilliant! that's pretty much exactly what I'm going to be building next week. You wouldn't happen to have a list of measurements handy would you? It'd save me using my brain :p
The only differences in mine will be I intend to cut recesses into the front of the tracks so I can take the ubs out without removing water bottles/nipples, and I will put boards at the back to stop the tubs from being pushed open at the back. I'm not sure if I can be bothered putting wheels on it either.

Sorry I don't have any measurements, I just made it up as I went.
You have to go for wheels, I put wheels on just about everything in my shed, best thing ever.

*shakes fist* Now I have to think!!!

I made a 3x3 tub rack ages ago, similar design but much smaller tubs, knowing full well that I would eventually be making another one the same. So of course I've lost my measurements list for that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to keep bugging you, but what size timber did you use? it looks like 70x35, is that right? I was thinking of using 90x19 for everything except the legs, but I'm not sure if it would be sturdy enough without a crossbrace at the back.

Looks good mate. Exactly the same as mine. :)
Can I ask how many rats you keep in 1 tub?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to keep bugging you, but what size timber did you use? it looks like 70x35, is that right? I was thinking of using 90x19 for everything except the legs, but I'm not sure if it would be sturdy enough without a crossbrace at the back.
Its all made out of 70x35 and every part has 2 screws in it. Its probably over kill but that's how I make things. lol

I use them for grow out tubs so 3-4 females with their litters depending on their temperament.

Hey mate I was just wondering , do you need some sort of permission or license to breed rats for reptile food? I'm very interested in getting into it as black headed loves a rat or two

I believe that you do require permits for certain numbers in certain councils but you would have to search your local by-laws.

My wife is about to revoke my permission as she is pregnant and can't stand the smell. She says she can smell them from the back door even though the garage is right at the back of the property. lol

It depends on how defensive the females get really. I find that some will even help each other out and share feeding with all the pups. On the other hand some will crack it and kill a pup. You get to know them pretty quickly though. :)

Yeah I provide a few hides for them a well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

:D
I finished my rack today!
I ended up using the 70x35 as well, but I only made mine 5 tubs high. Even then, it's just a little too tall for me to easily access the top tub (I'm pretty short though)
I'm really happy with it, but by god it weighs a ton and is massive!!
I haven't put the wheels on yet either because I wouldn't have been able to stand it up without snapping them off (I had to leave for the weekend before my partner got home.) That'll be a job for Monday though :)

:D
I finished my rack today!
I ended up using the 70x35 as well, but I only made mine 5 tubs high. Even then, it's just a little too tall for me to easily access the top tub (I'm pretty short though)
I'm really happy with it, but by god it weighs a ton and is massive!!
I haven't put the wheels on yet either because I wouldn't have been able to stand it up without snapping them off (I had to leave for the weekend before my partner got home.) That'll be a job for Monday though :)
Well done, got a pic of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back