Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moosenoose, you've mirrored my point of view. I'm pro hunting, I feel vegetarianism is a cute concept though flawed in it's logic but these psychopaths that openly brag about the fulfilment they get from torturing feral animals is a really sick display.

Last edited:
Are you going to add cats and dogs to that list or just keep it as it is?
Cats destroy more wildlife in this country than any other feral species including cane toads but we still bring then into the country day after day.

If I was around 150+ years ago I would have damn well tried.

So for you dog & cat numbers are at a point of no return while exotic reptiles are not here in any kind of mass, is that what you're saying?
I'm sure 150 years ago us caucasians would have struggled without the help of domestic animals hence why we utilized them in the first place.

Last edited:
A laws a law.
They don't belong here, and the government and most responsible keepers/breeders don't want them here.
Brick them all end of story.

couldn't the same be said about jags, zebras, albino bhps? These were all smuggled back into the country... and we already can keep exotic reptiles.... exotic gtps?

out dated licensing system with out dated laws

- - - Updated - - -

keep this country safe for and proud of the amazing fauna we have.

For me it is black and white, I love where we live and what we have and would do anything I could to preserve it.

keeping local fauna outside of its natural range in Australia is still an exotic reptile to the area and poses the same risk of establishing feral populations as ''illegal'' exotics, actually they probably poses a higher risk due to chance of cross breeding.

While you are sorting through that one don't forget the Camels and the Dingo's. The latter having been here 18,000 years but still ferral. Animals don't come here by choice they are brought here by the other ferral species.....US.
Why should the animal suffer the death sentence when the people who bring them in walk away to do it all again?
Maybe the person bringing the Boa into the country misidentified it as a Retic??

How many articles do you see of boas and exotics being found? Almost zero. How many exotics do snake catchers find? They do pop up but not many. I think Australia is doing well when it comes to exotics. go for a bush walk and you don't see exotics, that's a good sign. People on here make out like its an out of control problem. It's pretty funny. What ever you have that's controlled people any where on the planet will still deal them.

Most of the exotic keepers iv seen keep their exotics in perfect condition, the animals look healthy and they never lose any animals. Other people on the other hand keep natives by the law with no exotics and their enclosures are messy they just leave them and their animals aren't that healthy. I'm not encouraging keeping them and I wouldn't keep any because iv got animals on books I don't want to loss them. But marble and albino children's look just as good and there is some money in them at the moment, so I won't be keeping any corns or boas but the people iv seen keeping them, keep them in great condition and respect the animals, they aren't going any where.

But like I said I think Australia is doing well when it comes to everything prohibited. drugs, guns everything is here but it's not that bad and we are dealing human beings and you get people breaking the law. You can't expect a country to be Completely honest and pure when human beings are involved. But Australia is doing as well as can over all I think. If you think it's too corrupt here maybe you'd prefer a less corrupt place, like... i don't know brazil? Or maybe England, in the next 50 years I'm sure will be awesome for you...

I'm not saying, trying to or advocating 'brushing them under the rug'.
I'm all for an amnesty, flushing them out and seeing how many there really are out there.

And bricking the lot of them.

I'd throw in the Indian Ringnecks, The Indian Miners, the Terrapins that appear here and there, the Cane Toads, the foxes, the rabbits.
Burn the lot of 'em, keep this country safe for and proud of the amazing fauna we have.

For me it is black and white, I love where we live and what we have and would do anything I could to preserve it.

Here's a photo of me about ten years ago holding a beautiful Boa in Costa Rica.

attachment.php

This was one of the best experiences of my herp life.
In Costa Rica. Where it belongs.
If I came across this gorgeous beast here, you bet I'd be doing everything I could to find the nearest freezer.

thats a retic from Malaysia not a boa and not where it belongs

That's a Reticulated Python.

thats a retic from Malaysia not a boa and not where it belongs

Well done! You picked up on my sneaky!

It's actually me and a Retic from the KL Zoo taken in early '09.

It's good to know that while some people are fear mongering and hyping up already misinformed, unproven, and never documented imaginary figures to advocate for some new citizenships; that there are some people who actually know what is what and from where.

The last two days on this forum have made me smile like never before

*insert evil villian laugh*

Last edited:
I think moose's idea is to deal with this type of issue(exotics). Not just this one particular boa :)

It's a shame it will be euth'd, such wonderful animals :(

I see the logic behind this unfortunately once someone is legally owning an exotic, and they post photos etc the demand for this species will increase and more exotics will be brought into the country

I see the logic behind this unfortunately once someone is legally owning an exotic, and they post photos etc the demand for this species will increase and more exotics will be brought into the country

most exotics are actually bred here but a few probably came in with the jags and zebras but that's ok they are native, right?

most exotics are actually bred here but a few probably came in with the jags and zebras but that's ok they are native, right?

Thats a bit of a different argument. If you break it down, yes the gene is exotic, but the breed is native. The original Coastals the jag gene came from - even though it was overseas - is a native species.
Boa's and Corn Snakes simply do not belong in this country.
Release a snake carrying the jag gene into the environment, and aside from changing a few locale paint jobs - the eco system will suffer no negative impact as the are a native species. OR they will simply not survive.
Release a bunch of Boa's and you've got an entirely severe problem with your eco system.

Just because yes they are here, it doesn't mean there should be any reason to reconsider a legal stance on their existence in the country.
Deciding to legalize them is just going to give a green light to every other smuggler bringing in every other kind of exotic species.
It's telling them that if they flood the market, we'll cave and change laws. That is eco-terrorism my friend.

"The snake is the one who suffers" is not a valid arguement. It shouldn't exist in the first place so taking it out changes nothing.

Saying it gives smugglers the green light to bring in other animals is another stretch. Do you think they have an unwritten code on what they might be currently bringing in?

BTW I'm glad we have exotic reptiles banned here, as long as they don't start banning Macaws & some of those exotic fish species I keep, but when people continue to harp on about biosecurity & reptiles being the problem....then I start to wonder where this rant is coming from.

Thats a bit of a different argument. If you break it down, yes the gene is exotic, but the breed is native. The original Coastals the jag gene came from - even though it was overseas - is a native species.
Release a snake carrying the jag gene into the environment, and aside from changing a few locale paint jobs - the eco system will suffer no negative impact as the are a native species. OR they will simply not survive.
Release a bunch of Boa's and you've got an entirely severe problem with your eco system.

Just because yes they are here, it doesn't mean there should be any reason to reconsider a legal stance on their existence in the country.
Deciding to legalize them is just going to give a green light to every other smuggler bringing in every other kind of exotic species.
It's telling them that if they flood the market, we'll cave and change laws. That is eco-terrorism my friend.

"The snake is the one who suffers" is not a valid arguement. It shouldn't exist in the first place so taking it out changes nothing.

The snake has just as much of a right to be here as you do :)

What do YOU think would actually happen if boas were released into the Aussie bush? (I'd bet this has happened before anyway, still waiting for a "retics in the Everglades" type situation)

I was just saying the whole bio security argument is bs as most are from c/b animals that have been in Australia for multiple generations. If exotics don't belonging here and we shouldn't be allowed to keep exotic reptiles because of the ''risks'' then why are we legally allowed to keep exotic GTP? has that given every smuggler a green light?

Last edited:
I was just saying the whole bio security argument is bs as most are from c/b animals that have been in Australia for multiple generations. If exotics don't belonging here and we shouldn't be allowed to keep exotic reptiles because of the ''risks'' then why are we legally allowed to keep exotic GTP? has that given every smuggler a green light?

Take that argument of "oh bio security is all a bunch of b/s" to DECC/DERM/NPWS/DEPI and see what they say.
Bio security is all about not letting things into the natural system - such as from captive collections. Where numbers are far more concentrated.

Exotic gtp's are legally kept here, as unless you see them as hatchies about the only way to tell where one is from is through DNA - I'd love to turf them out of this country too btw...

- - - Updated - - -

The snake has just as much of a right to be here as you do :)

What do YOU think would actually happen if boas were released into the Aussie bush? (I'd bet this has happened before anyway, still waiting for a "retics in the Everglades" type situation)

According to Australian law; No, no they don't.

I would think the biggest impact they would have would be habitat displacement, competition of food source and and adverse impact on eco-chains(ability to take bigger prey key to local biocycles ect.)

- - - Updated - - -

Saying it gives smugglers the green light to bring in other animals is another stretch. Do you think they have an unwritten code on what they might be currently bringing in?

BTW I'm glad we have exotic reptiles banned here, as long as they don't start banning Macaws & some of those exotic fish species I keep, but when people continue to harp on about biosecurity & reptiles being the problem....then I start to wonder where this rant is coming from.

No of course there's no code, but if they realize we don't care about one exotic species whats to stop them bringing in ANY other en masse?

And I agree that reptiles aren't the only problem, but they're in there with mammals, birds, fish, the whole lot.

Last edited:
Take that argument of "oh bio security is all a bunch of b/s" to DECC/DERM/NPWS/DEPI and see what they say.
Bio security is all about not letting things into the natural system - such as from captive collections. Where numbers are far more concentrated.

Exotic gtp's are legally kept here, as unless you see them as hatchies about the only way to tell where one is from is through DNA - I'd love to turf them out of this country too btw...

yes the bio security argument of bring in new disease is all a bunch of bs because most exotics available are from animals that have been here for multiple generations...

Clearly you know very little about GTPs but legalising them hasn't open a huge flood gate of smuggled animals, no feral populations of exotic GTPs? no new diseases introduced? yes some exotics could have devastating effects ie green iguanas but some would pose very little if any risk varanus prasinus for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back