Hide for breeding Females.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any infomation on this so thought i'd ask here. I'm going to be getting into breeding once my babies are big enough and with the few years I have to learn everything I don't know in that time. I haven't been able to find anything specific or what people would suggest when it comes to the size of a hide for a female etc. What size tank is preferable for a gravid/laying female, what suits best for her to lay her eggs in? Just any knowledge anyone has on what kind of setup and whats appropriate for different stages for the breeding process. Mainly my queries are on sizes of things and not the process.

Snakes I will be breeding are darwin carpets, jungles, possibly diamonds. Darwin carpets will be the first.

Thanks - Mikki

You're putting the cart way before the horse on this one. If the snakes you have now are babies, and you aren't an experienced keeper, you've a lot more to learn before you get to the breeding stage.

Jamie

Good on you for wanting to plan ahead, but PythonInfinite is right... you're way ahead of the game on this one.

Carpet Pythons aren't ready to breed until they're 3-4 years old.

In the meanwhile, why don't you sit down with a good book? http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/noteworthy-threads-5397/recommended-reading-212528/

And since you're in NSW make sure you're familiar with the NSW code of practice for keeping reptiles. That'll cover what's considered the minimum enclosure sizes for adult pythons in NSW.

You're putting the cart way before the horse on this one. If the snakes you have now are babies, and you aren't an experienced keeper, you've a lot more to learn before you get to the breeding stage.

Jamie
First up let me state that the whole point I asked this question is yes to prepare. As i said i have a few good years before i will be able to breed my first breed. I've been keeping snakes for many years and have decided I want to raise my own to breed. So i am aware this isn't something to be rushed into without the proper knowledge and shared experience. I also have a list of things i require to learn or learn more about in the coming times. And I just wanted to know if anyone sells the things i would need instead of diy. I'm not a person who can build my own. Hence this is something I will need to prepare for so that when the time comes I'll have it sorted. I wanted any breeders experience on this particular thing.

For a laying box you can find an appropriately sized wooden box or a lot of people including myself use a polystyrene broccoli box that you can ask Coles etc for. Basically you want something that gives the female enough room to lay but small enough to be comfortable. You also want something that has a lid so you can get into it once the female has laid so you can remove the eggs and box with a minimum of fuss.
For enclosure I find 4x2x2 is a good size but many breeders have used smaller.

for a laying box, you can buy a couple of plastic boxes from a $2 shop, drill some holes in the back, zip tie em, cut a hole in the side of the top box, fill it full of damp sphagnum moss, ziptie the front, and keep it moist. Worked for me with egg layers for years. hope the pic helps.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN4767.jpg
    DSCN4767.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back