Need some advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reps_as_pets

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. My little childrens python is concerning me at the moment. When she flicks her tongue, sometimes it only goes halfway back in her mouth and she just leaves it that way for a few seconds. My first thought was maybe she had RI. I called a friend who has been keeping snakes for decades and he advised me to increase her heat mat temp to 34 and watch her closely for a few days. His reasoning was as follows..
She doesn't appear to be gunked up, no blowing bubbles or crackly breathing, no swollen neck or throat, nothing moist around her nose or mouth and she is still smashing her food. Well it's been 4 days and there's no change. Should I take her to the vet? Other than the tongue thing she seems well. She is about 15 months old, in a terrarium with a heat mat on 34 (normally on 32) which stays on 24/7. Ambient temp at night is around 22. She eats on average a mouse a week. Did I forget anything?

I have also reviewed all my husbandry, if she is sick I think it would have been me making it TOO humid around shedding time. I now know better and I am kicking myself enough for everyone. So consider me told off already :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's no signs of illness as you said then I wouldn't worry. Keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if any symptoms of ri develop.

So the tongue thing is nothing to worry about? Why is she doing it? Maybe she just has a bad attitude :D

Prevention is better than cure so i would be taking it to a vet just to be sure.It may be the start of something ?.I would give it more heat at night.

How much more heat? If it was RI or something would I know by now? She has been doing the tongue thing for about a week (that I have noticed anyway) doesn't seem any better or worse. I forgot to mention that when she holds her tongue out the tines are not stuck together. She doesn't appear to be doing it very often but if she needs a vet then I will get her seen asap.

If her tongue is stuck together go the Vet.I keep all my pythons at 28c-30c and don't have any problems anymore.

Does she puff out her throat at all? if so it's might be the start a RI.Keep her warm.

Not stuck together and no puffy throat, no head bobbing or elevating her head to breathe.

Il give you some advice, take your take your snake and.....get it to the vet.

If you bother to read previous posts I have already said she is going to the vet asap, I was asking questions because I am trying to learn as much as possible from people a lot more experienced than me, so hopefully something like this doesn't happen again.

Well that's good that you have that attitude when it comes to your reptiles, just make sure you do your research on reptile vets in your area and find a vet that's fair. don't just go to any vet randomly because vets are ridiculas not as bad as with dogs but they will charge you like crazy like a mechanic but use your love for your animals against you. So try to find a genuine one if possible. Good luck

Thanks Gaboon. Don't suppose anyone can recommend a good reptile vet around Coffs Harbour? I have called the only reptile vet I know of in my area. And does $ 80 for a standard consult sound fair?
She is my first snake so I haven't had need for a rep vet before.

Thankyou PythonLegs. Nothing on that list close to me unfortunately.

A vet will tell you nothing important if the snake is otherwise behaving normally, especially with regard to feeding. Lack of appetite is often a first and almost always a symptom of RI. If the snake is eating normally, you don't have much to worry about.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back