Incubator issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyDanny80

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas why both my Beardie eggs & frillie eggs would collapse & go hard & mouldy after 60 + days... I let them go another 20 days before opening them up & each time the animal is formed but dead with everything in the egg hard as well...

Temp is constant 30.5 degrees & humidity was 90% + for the frillies & 80% + for the beardies... (Used two diff instruments to measure this) Using the over water method in a sim tub...

I opened the lid weekly to allow exchange of fresh air & there was always condensation on the inside of the incubation tub..

Any ideas why they would go so far then just collapse & die? Everything inside the egg was hard also
puduratu.jpg
a2uqemuz.jpg

ysypa8aq.jpg
pu9umapa.jpg

These were the two good ones... At about 40 days...

They look like they are covered in fungus/mould. You mention that there was always condensation on the inside of the incubation tub. Was this condensation allowed to drip onto the eggs?

Was there any ventilation? i.e holes in the chamber to allow at least some fresh air.

They look like they are covered in fungus/mould. You mention that there was always condensation on the inside of the incubation tub. Was this condensation allowed to drip onto the eggs?

Was there any ventilation? i.e holes in the chamber to allow at least some fresh air.

Hi Bushman def no condensation dripping on the eggs as I had the tub on a slight angle with the condensation forming on the sides of the tub.

Only one hole in the lid where the probes went into the tub.

Yeah there was mould forming on those other eggs early on in the process... I treated them all with tinea powder b4 pulling the real bad ones out... I opened them up their was only harden yolk inside & suspect they were infertile...

Last edited by a moderator:
As you suspected, the ones that go bad relatively early on in the process of incubation are probably infertile.
I think that part of the problem was insufficient ventilation. Whether directly or indirectly due to the proliferation of mould.

As you suspected, the ones that go bad relatively early on in the process of incubation are probably infertile.
I think that part of the problem was insufficient ventilation. Whether directly or indirectly due to the proliferation of mould.

Thx bushman Certainly a possibility which is why I'm open to all suggestions... With the good eggs they began to dint b4 the onset of mould... I'm perplexed as to why the eggs would start to collapse given the indication of high humidity?

No worries Danny. Happy to help.
Poor ventilation is my best guess and it's difficult to say what caused their failure with any certainty. I suggest that you improve ventilation next time and see if that helps.

I check on my eggs nearly every day during incubation and in so doing, refresh the air inside the incubator. The actual chamber that I incubate the eggs in is covered with 'Glad Wrap', as it allows the exchange of air(gases) but not moisture. To ensure even more airflow, I pop a few holes in the gladwrap with a toothpick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back