What are the necessary licensing requirements in QLD for a RBB ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarwinBrianT

Reaction score
I want to know, what do I have to do to own a red belly black snake?
To me they are awesome in every way. 8)

Well the first and most important part you will need to do is get experience handling and working around elapids. Doing a handling course is an excellent place to start with this and it will show you the basics of handling. This alone does not prepare you for keeping them yourself contrary to what a lot of people think. Best thing is to find an elapid keeper in your area and ask them to show you what to do and practice on their snakes. Much safer for you while learning to have an experienced person watching what you are doing and helping to prevent you from making mistakes.
Next thing you need to get is a first aid certificate or be able to adequately show that you know and can apply snake bite first aid.
To get your elapid license you will need two statutory declarations from experienced elapid keepers or one and a handling certificate, you will also need to show them your first aid certificate or knowledge of the first aid to snake bite. To keep elapids you need to have a sealed lockable room and lockable enclosures to keep them in. Don't forget to get all the handling equipment you need for elapids as well. Also be prepared for an inspection of where you intended to keep them so they can check that you know what is needed. Finally you will have to pay the extra fee that is needed to upgrade your license. Not entirely sure on the current price but when I upgraded two years ago it was $216. You will have to check with them for the current price.
If you have any other questions feel free to message me.
Cheers Cameron

Firstly do as Cameron suggested and find someone to be your mentor and teach you handling techniques , husbandry techniques and give you some practical experience as this will be the most valuable information you can get. Then you will need to complete a venomous handling course. I thought it was $206 but pretty much what Cameron said. I would like to add that you will not need a first aid certificate but as stated show your knowledge of bandaging. You will also need to supply photographic evidence of your room (escape proof and lockable) , your enclosures fully set up for the species that you intend to keep (lockable/escape proof) , your handling equipment , your first aid kit and all the appropriate signs. You will have to show substrate water bowl hide and heating in the enclosure as well. You will need to explain what you want to keep and how you intend to handle them. Make sure your application has as much detail as you can, if there isn't enough detail they will ring you and ask a series of questions.

Andy

Whats the deal with locked outdoor pits? Are they legal in QLD?

From the knowledge I have they are not legal in QLD but feel that I may be wrong with it. Your best bet would be to ring or email DERM and ask them directly. No point listening to what other keepers have to say which could be completely incorrect information.
Cheers Cameron

I just saw some of gold coast snake catcher Tony Harrison s videos on YouTube and he appeared to be keeping them in locked pits outside

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think Tony only keeps pythons or crocodiles like that. From what I have seen all his venomous snakes are inside in enclosures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh ok. just could see them in the background didn't say what was in them. What do people do with regards to having housemates in the house you keep your vens in? I'm just thinking of liability if I'm away for an extended period and the housemate keeps their water bowl topped up for them like he currently does with my pythons. I was thinking rig up a system that keeps the water topped up automatically with a cistern type thing, or maybe a jug and long hose device to top up the water without having to open the cage.

I would think owning venomous snakes would make it harder to rent. It's not something I'm looking at doing before I own my own home.

I own my own house, but I have one housemate who rents a room off me.

The enclosure is to be locked and escape proof and the dedicated room is to be locked and escape proof and your house mate would not legally be allowed to enter the room without you there. Not sure how this would be regulated apart from if your housemate was bitten.

What do people with vens do when they go on holiday? Automatic watering system?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If its only for a week or two I fill up their water dishes before I leave. If I am going for a longer period I would just get one of my friends that have their elapid license to drop over and quickly do it. Another thing I do is skip feeding the week before I go so that they do not crap while I am away.
No problem with having a housemate with elapids in the house. All that is needed is a simple rule of don't do anything with the venomous snakes unless I am with you and just have the keys with you.
Cheers Cameron

Oh cool cheers. I am trying to get into FIFO work that could have me away 3-4 weeks at a time so need to have a system in place before I leave. Pythons are easy just have a big flat shallow dish of water that the can't tip over and a big feed at the start and end of my time off. Elapids are a bit more complicated.

Oh cool cheers. I am trying to get into FIFO work that could have me away 3-4 weeks at a time so need to have a system in place before I leave. Pythons are easy just have a big flat shallow dish of water that the can't tip over and a big feed at the start and end of my time off. Elapids are a bit more complicated.
Really don't know if elapids are really suited to someone who is FIFO especially for 3 weeks at a time. I think your best bet is to find someone that is close by , that you trust and that is licensed to look after your snakes or I would consider getting rid of them until you finish the fifo.

Really don't know if elapids are really suited to someone who is FIFO especially for 3 weeks at a time. I think your best bet is to find someone that is close by , that you trust and that is licensed to look after your snakes or I would consider getting rid of them until you finish the fifo.

I don't think any animal is suited to the primary carer being away for three weeks out of four. Why have pets when you're not there 75% of the time?

I don't think any animal is suited to the primary carer being away for three weeks out of four. Why have pets when you're not there 75% of the time?
I'm not in fifo work yet. Don't know if I will even get the job. That being said I don't want to sell off all my snakes when I'm still home. I will have a housemate to look after my pythons if that is the path I do take. I don't know yet whether it will be worth the hassle of getting into elapids until I know where I'm going to be with regards to employment.

Well the first and most important part you will need to do is get experience handling and working around elapids. Doing a handling course is an excellent place to start with this and it will show you the basics of handling. This alone does not prepare you for keeping them yourself contrary to what a lot of people think. Best thing is to find an elapid keeper in your area and ask them to show you what to do and practice on their snakes. Much safer for you while learning to have an experienced person watching what you are doing and helping to prevent you from making mistakes.
Next thing you need to get is a first aid certificate or be able to adequately show that you know and can apply snake bite first aid.
To get your elapid license you will need two statutory declarations from experienced elapid keepers or one and a handling certificate, you will also need to show them your first aid certificate or knowledge of the first aid to snake bite. To keep elapids you need to have a sealed lockable room and lockable enclosures to keep them in. Don't forget to get all the handling equipment you need for elapids as well. Also be prepared for an inspection of where you intended to keep them so they can check that you know what is needed. Finally you will have to pay the extra fee that is needed to upgrade your license. Not entirely sure on the current price but when I upgraded two years ago it was $216. You will have to check with them for the current price.
If you have any other questions feel free to message me.
Cheers Cameron
Thanks for taking the time to post all that, I am really keen and I will jump through all the hoops needed. I'll do it over some time though. I never rush into anything.
Cheers

No problem at all and glad it is useful for you. If you need and other help with it feel free to message me and I will try to help as best I can.
Cheers Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back