Ways to calm a snappy snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you could also just accept your snake is simply being a snake. Leave the poor thing alone and get yourself a pet rock to play with.

would you guys suggest leaving a snake to de-stress after arrival for about a week? feeding aside?

I always suggest leaving it for a week to settle in before feeding and then feeding it every week after that. Once it has had at least 4 feeds in its new home then I would begin handling, not before. That's what I suggest but many people don't listen and you hear from them a month later asking 'why won't my snake eat'

All of this is easy

Just gently teach the snake to trust you
Softly softly catchee monkey

Its a hatchy carpet/jag. What exactly are you expecting from the snake. Hatchies are bitey, jag or not. Leave the thing alone and just look at it. It doesnt want to be held,,,,,,EVER. Hopefully it feeds well and doesnt headbang, cause some don't. If its aggressive, commonsense says it doesn't want to be touched. Try and read your animals behaviour. If you want something slinky and cuddly, maybe a trained ferret would be better. I hope this post doesn't come across nasty. just trying to help.

- - - Updated - - -

would you guys suggest leaving a snake to de-stress after arrival for about a week? feeding aside?

Whats destress. If a snake has the right heat, food, hides and water, it is perfectly happy. Until a big giant hand grabs it out of its happy home.

i should say arrival from interstate..from vic to sa or vice versa..i would imagine it's a bit of a rough journey

What a surprise, just found the snake for sale... That didn't take long. I doubt she's had it for 6 months and is legally able to sell it.

You have been given some really good advice here :) If you take it on board, I am sure at the end of the day your Hatchy will calm down. They truly are just being defensive, all of my snappy chappies have quietened down to the point of being able to be handled without striking/tagging. Just a quick note:- Most of my extremely defensive Hatchy's are now great to handle after leaving them alone(apart from feed/clean routine)until they were around 12 months old) baring in mind I dont really over handle any of my reptiles(I got a puppy lol) seriously, out of my collection I would say I have 2 that actually seem to enjoy the whole "handling" process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back