Feeding hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8kenshin8

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my last 4 stimson hatchlings to feed. They just show no interest, and it has now been 2 months since their first shed, so worrying now. Just wondering if anyone has discovered any helpful tricks to get hatchlings to eat, since my methods just aren't working for this last four.

Scenting is my go-to for my non-feeding spotteds. I have frozen geckos (AHG only), defrost them and rub the pinkie aaaaall over it (ensuring the face and back smells like gecko, this is where they're most likely to sniff with the way I feed them). If they're a more aggressive snake, I'll wave it around and tap their face and neck gently with it to get a response. If they're shy I'll leave it in there with them overnight. I only try to feed at night time.

After a few feeds in this fashion, I'll offer a pinkie and usually they will take it :) If not a few more scented feeds will usually suffice.

try braining! it worked for me all you do is get (a frozen or dead) pinkie and put a pin into its head and push a little brain juice out and leave it on the head. it does sound horrible but it has worked for me. but before you try all the methods like scenting and braining make sure u have left about a week or so of time between each try so your Hatchie's don't stress and go off food all together. Good Luck!

Try grabbing the pinking, working part of it into the snakes mouth, and see what happens. Hold the snake behind the head, push the pinkie up and into the mouth, let it bite, then leave it alone. its a hatchie. Hitting it on the head, or pushing something into its mouth are both gonna stress it. After one or two successful tries it should feed on its own

My general approach is offering the warmed pinkie, waving it in front, and gently tapping just behind the head to get a responce, I keep putting it back in the warmed water to keep it body temperature. But they all just have no interest. I've tried leaving the pinkie in there over night.
Also tried scenting the pinkies with quail feathers.

I will try the braining, i've heard of it but just wasn't sure how to get the brain out, so a pin sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back