Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

- - - Updated - - -

This is also a big thing for me - it benefits this country entirely zero to allow them here except to make a few people a lot of money.

If you really wanted to look at it from that angle it could potentially benefit the economy & pet industry as a whole. I know a few people who would be right into reptiles if they had access to what people in the U.S & UK have access to

If you really wanted to look at it from that angle it could potentially benefit the economy & pet industry as a whole. I know a few people who would be right into reptiles if they had access to what people in the U.S & UK have access to

Like I said, making a few pockets fat.
And I have issue with people who would chose to have exotics over the stunning array of natives this land has given us.

Like I said, making a few pockets fat.
And I have issue with people who would chose to have exotics over the stunning array of natives this land has given us.

Why would you assume they would choose one over the other if they were legal ? I have stunning animals from practically every continent on Earth. I see no reason to choose one over another although I do favour South America :)

Why would you assume they would choose one over the other if they were legal ? I have stunning animals from practically every continent on Earth. I see no reason to choose one over another although I do favour South America :)

You've said it right there yourself, people you know aren't interested, but would be if exotics were available. That statement directly implies they've got no interest in legally kept natives whatsoever.

You've said it right there yourself, people you know aren't interested, but would be if exotics were available. That statement directly implies they've got no interest in legally kept natives whatsoever.

Exactly and that's why those people just keep exotics illegally...

Interesting topic & one that isn't going to be resolved any time soon!
It's had me thinking lately- what exactly is an exotic species? Where do we draw the line? Most state laws allow animals native to Australia. Some only allow native to their state. Will a captive bred python really cause havoc in Tasmania? What about species that occur in both Australia & Papua New Guinea? GTPs have been brought up, White-Lipped Pythons have been debated lately. With roughly 50 species of reptiles, amphibians, birds & mammals shared between Cape York & PNG (probably more), why not allow a species list of the 'continent of Australia' which includes New Guinea? After all, PNG was a territory of Australia as recently as 1975. People on the mainland keep Tasmanian species- Tassie at its closest point is 240kms from the mainland. PNG at its closest point is 150kms from the mainland. I would consider this option because the land masses have been connected for the majority of their time & 'due to the spread of animals, fungi and plants across the single Pleistocene landmass the separate lands have a related biota' (thanks Wikipedia!). Due to the conflict in PNG also, I could see a benefit in some captive breeding of PNG species in Australia. I remember seeing the great John Cann talk about his trips to PNG & him saying "its basically Australia anyway". From memory he brought at least one endangered species of turtle back to Australia for a captive breeding program. I'm sure many private breeders would love the chance to help with captive breeding programs of endangered species from the 'Australian continent'- but that comes back to Gavin Bedford & Greg Miles Australian representative herp body which the hobby already seems to have destroyed. I'll stop thinking out loud now

Makes you wonder why Axolotls are legal? Imagine any other amphibian species being allowed into the country to become a potential bio-hazard! About as much a bio-hazard as a bred-here, grown-here corn.

You could also ask the question as to why in recent times the Magnificent Tree frog & File snake is allowed into Victorian collections, and what I call "State Exotic" snakes like taipans, adders & various other species have been given the green light?

It's like the wipe-off 5 commercials. It's all about consistently hammering out the untruths often & enough to get the vast majority to consume it.

Makes you wonder why Axolotls are legal? Imagine any other amphibian species being allowed into the country to become a potential bio-hazard! About as much a bio-hazard as a bred-here, grown-here corn.

You could also ask the question as to why in recent times the Magnificent Tree frog & File snake is allowed into Victorian collections, and what I call "State Exotic" snakes like taipans, adders & various other species have been given the green light?

It's like the wipe-off 5 commercials. It's all about consistently hammering out the untruths often & enough to get the vast majority to consume it.

Do hospitals carry all anti venoms or just local species?

That's an interesting point, I was on Gumtree last night & saw 3 Salamanders for sale (similar but not the same as an axolotl!) & I found myself wondering how they came across them. I've seen them for sale in petshops as well.

Ah the uncomfortable truth :)

It's a shame their a nice snake I got to hold one at Australia zoo a few years ago it was about 2.5 m

Yes I have to agree with you there, I have had the opportunity to handle a big boa from st lucia island in the carribean and you have to have a mutual respect with the animal due to its shear size and temprement (st lucia boas tend to be big and cranky!).

One thing I do not agree with is the laws from keeping these animals.... yes I understand the concerns with diseases etc, but I have spoken to a couple of people that "illegally keep them & its a fact that over 90% of these animals have been bred in this country from animals that have been here for many generations, simply due to the penalties of getting caught smuggling animals in.

Surely there must be a way to legally keep these exotics? Perhaps another level of licencing like the endangered/venomous native category that we already have.
Even if it cost a bit more to fund the policing of keepers and how/where the animal is obtained, and even a veterinary check with costs charged to the buyer/seller

I know this reply will ruffle some feathers but too bad, we all have the right to an opinion, its no different to keeping exotic birds, cats, dogs etc
cheers kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back