Marking a lizard and snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beans

Will be moving to Brisbane at some point in the near future.

I know its not necessary but it will make me feel better, if I marked my animals somewhere so that when I get them back I KNOW they are mine.

I know some breeders use a marker to mark their lizards for sale, but I was wondering what would be the best way to do it for both a snake and a lizard?

I just want to put a colored spot on the underside of their tails. I dunno if I should use a marker, or a nailpolish <--- I dont want to use nail polish really. It would only be a little spot.

I don't understand why you would need to mark your herps.
Get them back from where?
What species are they?

No two specimens are exactly the same, so usually a photograph of distinctive patterns or scale counts should suffice.
Because reptiles slough their skin, paint or nail-polish would be sloughed off with the next slough.

Why would you need to mark them??

If you are sending by courier etc just put them in a locked box
If only you have the key????

- - - Updated - - -

How about this idea??

Go to vet
Get radio tracking transponder put inside both animals
That way if your receiver doesnt go beep you know they are not yours
Also be very handy for tracking them when they escape??

A picture of any defining characteristic of each of your animals should make identification simple. For snakes, close up head shots work well for scales and pattern.

I'm curious, you don't seem worried that your animals will be stolen, why are you under the impression that someone will swap your animals in transit to Brissie? Or have I misunderstood the situation?

I was after some help. I know its not necessary to do and you may not get why I want to do it. But I would feel better about doing it. And all I get is sarcasm. I will be sending them via air freight. I'm not looking for anything permanent, just temporary mark.

Sorry I asked though.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion you would be wasting your time. My question is what are you trying to achieve? If you think that someone will steal your animal and place a different one in its place then you should be able to identify it by features or pictures but this is unlikely to happen unless your animal would be carrying a rare gene. The other option is someone steals your animal and leaves nothing, in this case it would not matter what markings you put on them if you do not see it.

Yep thanks. Just me being paranoid and overly worried and un-trusting of others.

Thanks for all the help.

Hmmm, not sure how well it would stick to snake scales, but something like cetrigen (antibacterial wound spray for critters) would probably work. It sticks to dang near everything else. Would definitely work well on the lizard, just not 100% sure if it would have quite the same effect on a snake with their smooth scales and all.

DON'T GET IT ON YOUR CLOTHES, THEY WILL BE PURPLE FOREVER. It can take days to get it off our hands, no matter how much you scrub them, so be careful with it.

And all I get is sarcasm. I will be sending them via air freight. I'm not looking for anything permanent, just temporary mark.

Sorry I asked though.

Was only trying to help but ok...

That wasn't directed at you. If you look back at everything that was said you will understand why I'm annoyed.

Quite a few people here need to learn not to jump down someone's throat when they ask a question.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not take them with you instead of freighting them?

Anthony
aka White Shadow

Beans if your sending by air freight use a big box drill some
holes and zip tie the lid shut then tape the lid also.. No one can get into it plus your animals would be in bags so no one can tell what it is

If they wanted to get in a little bit of sticky tape and zip ties won't stop any1

Beans if your sending by air freight use a big box drill some
holes and zip tie the lid shut then tape the lid also.. No one can get into it plus your animals would be in bags so no one can tell what it is

[MENTION=38897]Beans[/MENTION] u haven't stated how u r traveling up there... We all like to fly but if I had to move my reps then it would be with me driving them up there as only couple days travel.... Tho road or air freight will suffice and your reps will be safe.
Regards
Pete

If I could drive there I would. But I can't so flying is my only choice right now

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Beans calm down and take in the replies that have helped... In reality all u need to do is take pics and job done... Placing your reptiles in the right hands will get them delivered without fuss... Don't take people to heart... Been there and done that.

Pete

The thing is if marking it will give you peace of mind then do it but keep in mind that anything you use needs to be reversible so that means anyone can remove the markings as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back