Feeding carpet python hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudy35

Reaction score
Hi everyone just looking for some advice!!! I had my first clutch of coastal carpet pythons hatchlings over New Years which resulted in 12 little cuties!!! I have successfully managed to get 5 of them feeding and are thriving however the other 7 are a different story! They have all fed but by way of leaving prey in the bottom of the enclosure or by assist feeding!!!! They are housed in 5L tubs, are on heat mats (third of enclosure), are offered pinkie mice at night when they wake twice a week! They are left alone the remaining time! I have tried ripping the skin on the nose of the mouse with no luck! Someone told me these little guys would be time wasters and they weren't wrong! They are doing my head in! My next step is to offer fuzzy mice but other than that I don't know what else to do! If anyone could give me any suggestions or guidance on what I am doing wrong it would be appreciated!!!!

Make sure the ambient air temperature in the tubs is at least 28C and the hotspot 33-34, and make sure the hatchies have something to climb on. Forget about pinkie mice and concentrate on fuzzy mice.

Wing_Nut

Did you breed those dark carpets this year [MENTION=36197]Wing_Nut[/MENTION]?

I found this Youtube clip very interesting showing feeding hatchling carpet pythons. There is also a part 2 to it.

[video=youtube;4qdYn_y1pLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdYn_y1pLU[/video]

Wing_Nut knocked it on the head and I'm not sure what u r worried about as the ones that eat if food is left in there is quite normal and if u have been assisting a few they will kick into gear very soon as long as the hot spot is right and helping with the mid 20's ambient
Pete

Thanks for your replies! Only a couple have picked up the prey from the bottom of the enclosure but have not done it consistently! I have mainly been assist feeding! I suppose my concern is that it had been so long since they hatched and they still aren't feeding on there own!!! Should I continue to assist feed on a consistent basis????

Thanks for your replies! Only a couple have picked up the prey from the bottom of the enclosure but have not done it consistently! I have mainly been assist feeding! I suppose my concern is that it had been so long since they hatched and they still aren't feeding on there own!!! Should I continue to assist feed on a consistent basis????

What is your ambient tub temp? They may not be turned on to feeding due to temperatures being too cool, as said by others this would be easy to resolve and should see them with a better food response.

Have you offered other prey? Rats, quails ect.

Rick

Hi rick my ambient temp is around mid 20's. No I haven't offered any other prey so that is something I am going to do! My hatches that are feeding well are on rats but I haven't given them to the fussy one's!!!!!

Hi rick my ambient temp is around mid 20's. No I haven't offered any other prey so that is something I am going to do! My hatches that are feeding well are on rats but I haven't given them to the fussy one's!!!!!

See if you can get up to 28-30c, as with most reptiles juvis do better with warmer ambient temps and slightly higher humidity.

Rick

The most important advice so far has been to ditch the pinkies. Hatchy Carpets are not fond of pink mice, and will always start better on large fuzzy or small weaner mice. They are capable of eating relatively large meals, and seem to prefer it that way.

Jamie

I can vouch for that, my first clutch last year I started on pinkies and had trouble getting about half of them to start. This year I started on fuzzies and all but one started straight away, first feed and haven't looked back.

Well you people know your stuff! Got myself some fuzzies and I thought I would just try one of the hatchlings and yep he took it! This guy has only ever been assist fed and about 5 minutes into offering he latched on and constricted!!! Made my day!!!! Thank you guys for all your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back