Coastal Carpet Python not eating...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Django

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hi All,

I have a 5 year old Coastal Carpet python that, for the first time won't take food. About two weeks ago he started cruising his enclosure as if he was hungry so we offered him a rat which he turned his nose up at. This weekend he's again been showing all the right signs for feeding so we tried again. He's had a bit and a drag, cruised around it and generally acted like he can smell something and is interested but he's now just gone back into his water bowl and left the rat.

I'm not overly concerned as this is the first time it's happened and he's normally pretty good. I assume it's the weather or something as he's still behaving normally when we take him out, etc....

My main question is, how long do I leave the rat in there before removing it??

Thanks

My python behaves oddly sometimes too.
I normally feed in the evening so if the food is still there next morning I throw it out.

If he's sitting in water bowl he may have mites.... Other than that it's normal at this time of yr with the cooler months depending on your enclosure temps for it to go off food till the spring.... Check for mites
Pete

Thanks Peter but I don't think mites are a problem. He's always had a fondness for his water bowl and we check quite regularly when we handle him - usually a couple to a few times each week.

Leasdraco, thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how long I could leave a rat in there without it going manky on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back