Temp trouble

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenyseT

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a new python owner and have had my 5mth old children's python for a week now. I did a lot of research before I got him so I understand the need for temp gradients but I'm having a bit of trouble.

He's housed in a 7L click clack on a 14w heat mat with thermostat. At first I had 1/3 of the click clack on the heat mat but I have since moved it to 1/2 on. As well as the thermostat I have a temp probe at either end to read ambient temp. I am worried he is too cold. Cool end is reading anywhere from 17-22 depending on time of day. Warm end ambient is anywhere from 27-30 with the heat mat thermostat set on 31. I have since uped the thermostat to 32 in an attempt to get ambient temps up but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am concerned the ambient temps are too low and he won't thrive. The click clack is in the warmest room away from the hussle and bussle of the house and curious children and I've part wrapped the click clack in a hand towel.

The little guy seems happy enough. He spends a lot of time curled up under the paper towel on the heat mat during the day but gets a bit more active come dusk. He had his first feed yesterday without any problems.

Would love advice from those more experienced than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just as add on to the above post- because he's a ground dweller I'm hoping that the ambient temp between the heat mat and the paper towel should be higher than that of the rest of the enclosure and should be warm enough????

14w heat mat is ample (5w can do the job) just because u set thermostat @ 31 doesn't mean it will heat 1/3 of the click clack floor to that temp. needs to be 33/34 deg at the floor on warm end and that will raise the cool end to mid 20's....if that fails I place the smaller tub in my yearling tubs to secure a better around ambient temp. ill grab a pic so u can c what I mean.

Pete

Great Pete. Thanks for that. I think I know what you mean. I've just increased the thermostat temp to 34. :)

008.jpg001.jpg
In first pic is how I used to do it but since I now built a yearling rack I just utilize that. doing it this way helps during these cold winter months (bit like double glazing)...u best get yourself a temp gun which makes checking temps with immediate ease...hope this helps.

Pete

- - - Updated - - -

Great Pete. Thanks for that. I think I know what you mean. I've just increased the thermostat temp to 34. :)

setting it at 34 may still not give u floor temp u want so u will have to check it till u get it right

Pete

Last edited:
I ordered a temp gun over a week ago but it's yet to turn up :/ I'll have to chase it up. Thanks for the advice :)

Ummm pics don't work...MODS??? help plzzz:)...............Ahhhh sorted it ;)

Last edited:
I dont have any experience with click clacks (hatchie straight to small enclosure), but if he took a feed yesterday then I would take that as a sign that things are ok. and yes probably a touch warmer under paper towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back