Snakes and lemons/ lemongrass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davem

Reaction score
There has been a couple of snake scares over here recently and people have been asking how to keep snakes out of their gardens. A common reply is that planting lemongrass, or mixing lemon juice with ammonia and sprinkling it around will repel snakes. Now this is the first time I have ever heard this and I wonder if someone can confirm if its either true, or an old wives tale. I tend towards the old wives tale myself!
Cheers.

Myth. Even if snakes were repelled by such small amounts of frankly very mild deterent chemicals both of these chemicals break down rapidly and wouldnt last more than a few hours. For that matter lemon juice is mildly acidic and ammonia is basic which means any pH effects would cancel out. Worst case you create small amounts of ammonium citrate which might give you a rash if you spill it on you although I seriously doubt the amount created would have any effect at all considering the concentration produced is <5%.

The lemongrass one is common throughout the Sth Pacific. The snakes are there but in reality you just cant see them. If you plant ginger under someones steps it sucks their life out of them everytime they walk over it until they die.

its an old wives tale and pointless.people will frantically search for anything and put belief in anything even remotely capable of "keeping snakes away",i have the answer for neurotically snake phobic peeps or snake harmers.. move to New Zealand

- - - Updated - - -

its an old wives tale and pointless.people will frantically search for anything and put belief in anything even remotely capable of "keeping snakes away",i have the answer for neurotically snake phobic peeps or snake harmers.. move to New Zealand

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers fella's, I live in Cambodia now and it is hard to explain away the old school beliefs to people here. I needed something concrete to show them and you fella's have provided that. G'day to Neil too. Hope all is good mate! Its been to long between beers!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an interesting link if any of you are interested!
http://garudam.info/files/WHO2009-Cambodia.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back