Hand "Tame" Cunningham's Skink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThingsReptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, i believe these guys have a bit of an unfair reputation as being skittish and hate being handled,
that is definitely true for 1 of my adult New Englands, the other will tolerate a hand being in the enclosure, sometimes a slight stroke down the back, and once out of the enclosure will calm down a little bit.
The other 2 yr old unknown locale Cunningham i have, is the friendliest lizard i have ever owned,
its personality reminds me of a bearded dragon, always curious and comes out to investigate whenever it hears or sees someone around, hand feeds very enthusiastically, and when being handled just holds on to your hand in kind of a bear hug and quite happily watches the world go by :)
Mind you, this is relatively new behaviour, last year it lost a fair bit of its tail in a scuffle with a previous housemate, before this it behaved like a "normal" cunningham, upon separating it, it began eating like a pig and shed a week or two later, after that shed it has been friendly

I am currently uploading a video of it hand feeding (and deciding to stand on 2 feet to do so), onto youtube, i will post the link when its done

tbh i dunno, got it as a new born and never had it sexed

[video=youtube;4FCyEgzSajs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FCyEgzSajs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

also, you can see in the video its actually shedding at the moment, and is still that enthusiastic to eat straight from my hand

I reckon they deserve that reputation two fold, I have a dozen cunninghams and none of them will let you get close. Are your cunninghams kept alone?

no, the one in the video is living with a bluey of the same size
the other two are together plus a bluey in with them too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back