Is this too low???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spends on the wattage. U would need to do test runs depending on what's going in there

Diamond Python, 9 months old.
Not sure what wattage yet, but it will be a red globe most likely.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Don't use the heat mat and but a low wattage globe in and it's fine.
A temp gun or probe thermometer to get a reading of the shelf temps and you're set

Don't use the heat mat and but a low wattage globe in and it's fine.
A temp gun or probe thermometer to get a reading of the shelf temps and you're set

So a low wattage globe will be sufficent to heat the whole hot side of the tank?
If its too cold i can still easily hook the heat mat up to the thermometer anyways.

What globe and wattage do you recommend?

Also, what substrate would be adequate for a diamond this size.

Thanks Heaps.

Regards Sam.

You don't need to heat the whole left side. Just needs a 30-32 basking spot. The python will sit under the lamp when it needs to and wonder off when it feel like it. Keeping diamonds cooler is best.
Try a 60w party globe. See what temps it gets.

Even a 40watt CHE would work, not as cheap as a party globe, but much better IMO

I was thinking a 60W red globe, i have used them in the past and they have been working perfectly, my mum picked me up one today. I will see how it gets the temps then i will decide if they are good enough for the set-up.

Thanks

Sam

have you got room for the diamond to climb diamond python are aboreal, also since your in Sydney you could get away way with lowest wattage possible. if you need help with temps just look at your current weather and see what temps are base you heating to that
globe prob too low

Across the tank i will put a long stick, and then hopefully have another lower one.
So are you saying that the globe i got wont do the job? If not which one will?
Cheers

Sam :)

the globe will do the job, just an aboreal you want encourage them to climb high to heat source this also is great way to see and display the snake.

40w reflector globe will be ample and as said earlier you only need the basking spot heated to 30-32. The rest of the cage can be left at ambient. I suggest putting up a pic of the whole cage as this will help people to give advice. Diamonds are great!

I take it that ceramic lamp socket with the metal plate is going in the hole where you had the light cage? In my opinion it will be fine, maybe a it will be a little low but it will do the job. Go ahead and use the 60w IR but when it blows just get a similar white globe from bunnings at a fraction of the price, unless your giving night heat of course, then you want to stick to the IR or use a ceramic. Night heat will depend on whether you intend continuing feeding through winter which at 9 months is advisable ( seems an odd age for a diamond when considering when they normally hatch)

Actually you`ll find your looking for a bigger enclosure before too long. Also smaller enclosures are harder to get a temp gradient in, not too bad this time of year but when it starts warming up you`ll find the whole enclosure will be fairly warm.

Actually you`ll find your looking for a bigger enclosure before too long. Also smaller enclosures are harder to get a temp gradient in, not too bad this time of year but when it starts warming up you`ll find the whole enclosure will be fairly warm.

This enclosure is one i owned from previous reptiles. I have a way bigger tank that would be perfect. Just needs some modifiying, like glass doors instead of the plastic installed and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back