Opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDM_Pythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this forum lacking people posting lately and the forum numbers viewing is taking a downward spiral...just after some thoughts to y?:?

Facebook is the main reason. So many people are going to the reptile groups there instead of bothering to come to a separate forum. Plus this forum has a bad reputation to a lot of people so they are also steering away.
Cheers Cameron

I disagree Cameron. I’ve been on this forum for about five years now and people have been going on about the apparent waning popularity of the site for that whole time. Facebook has had an effect on forums but from my experience, every year there is a fairly typical posting cycle:

Over the previous month or two you get the posts from people wondering why their snakes aren’t eating because things are cooling down and the animals are naturally switching themselves off.
Then about this time, things are really slowing down with animals so the posting also slows down to probably the least amount for the whole year.
In a month or so, you will get the people talking about and showing off photos of pairings and then following that, photos off clutches being laid.
Then you will see the posts about new hatchies arriving, followed by a wave of newer breeders asking how to get their neonates to feed.
After that, breeders will be selling their hatchies so you will get the flood of generic noob posts to aggravate the old hats.
Then, we’ll be getting into summer again and animals are in their highest activity period and there will be plenty more posting activity again.

This is obviously a fairly generic overview but that’s been my observation of the yearly cycle on here.

Yer the good ol FB... Tried it lately and was not greatly impressed with people sharing stuff ( but was still working the settings out lol).. And people advertising on your own advert ( quite Rudd IMO) also the usual know it alls that feed live bla bla bla... I prefer forums and agree there is a cycle there Sax,,, it just just seem to be as lively as it used to be buts that's just my view for the moment... Hope things change as it's been a busy place last few yrs

Like I said, it's always really quiet this time of year. Even the field herpers and catchers won't be getting as much so there's just not much to talk about

Facebook is a cancer killing forums everywhere.

Another reason that this forum isn't as popular any more is because of they way its moderated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had noticed the same thing about there not being much activity lately. And I agree with the cycle thing but I still think things are definitely slower than usual. Shame because its a great time waster!

I had a motorbike forum for years, it was awesome fun. I put a lot of my time/money into it but in the end facebook got the better of it. I just hope the people that run this site keep doing what they have been doing, if its not broken don't try to fix it. You will never keep everyone happy, I say quality should win over quantity every time, that's where I went wrong. Just my 2c worth.

I look at the lack of activity on here and think I probably should comment on more threads, after all its simple really, the more people commenting, the more activity.

I haven't really found many threads that I am interested in so feel it would be just commenting for the sake of it. I am not sure about the moderators doing what they do having anything to do with the drop in popularity. Whilst I don't always agree with how the moderators do their job I think that you get the same or worst on Facebook. I am sure Facebook has had a lot to do with the decrease in activity but more because there is the same number of people or maybe more spread over more sites. I am not sure what the site can do to increase popularity but think something needs to be done.

I think I need to choose my words carefully here but I agree the new batch of moderators seem to be quite strict and the drop in activity has to a point coincided with their appointment. It seems changes were made to stop people being driven away but it seems to have come at a greater cost. At the same time I applaud the moderators for doing what is a thankless, time consuming, difficult job. I certainly have no desire to do it.

There a couple of intresting perspectives put forward on your question PDM and I only wanted to try and address one side of the lower numbers thought pattern if I may?

Being a mod on APS (or any forum) isn't easy as before we have even submitted our first post as a moderators a few individuals have already pinned us down as power hungry individuals, idiots, suck ups and all sorts of unpleasant words I won't share here. In saying that, we give up our time and effort in order to try and ensure a level of pleasantness and assemblance of order across all the forums. Sometimes we make unpopular decisions and sometimes we make incorrect decisions however we are ordinary people who for the most part will acknowledge our mistakes.

A couple of individuals have made reference to the way the site is moderated or that its percieved we are too strict or over moderate which is interesting as no one to date, since the new moderators were chosen, has submitted a ticket, sent a PM or made mention of the fact except on an open forum where the comment is left open ended with no specifics.

As such, Im extending an open invitation to all members that if you have an idea on where we are being too strict or overmoderating, have made a bad decision or just have some questions, concerns or ideas, to please PM me. By PMing me there will be no risk of Rule 13 breaches and I will make sure that each PM is addressed and no judgment will be passed. It's not something I am aware of thats been done before, but Im willing to offer up the opportunity to listen and take things into consideration if you are willing to share your thoughts.

Have a pleasant evening
Stuart

SC, that may just open up a whole new can of worms lol (meant in jest)For the most part I think you all do a pretty good job. You cant please all of the people all of the time. I have moderated on a few forums, it can be a thankless job that consumes a lot of time. I dont know? I reckon it does just ebb and flow(comments/members on this site etc) I had a break from the internet for awhile, the site does seem a tad more serious? but that is not always a bad thing. My sense of humor can need reigning in at times ;) I still enjoy the forum and learn so much from the experienced members on here :)
Kindest regards Crystal

We have probably been a bit quiet ourselves lately, due to a number of reasons (some personal). Managing our reptile collection, and upsizing some enclosures have taken a lot of our spare time.

Every where's quiet in the rep world atm, even fb. This is the time of the year when breeders can take a bit of a break and there's no hatchies to show photos of. :)

I've been a member for nearly 8 years and there has definitely been a steady decrease over the last 3 or so years and this is the quietest it has ever been by a long shot. The over moderation doesn't help and is probably the reason chat died some time ago but it has been much worse at times in the past and activity was still high so I think facebook is the main culprit.

Lots of people (and most) strive on getting there questions answered on Yahoo Answers. Some answers aren't correct but you do get your occasional expert, you'd really hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back