Stimson's won't eat fuzzies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slothicorn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've had my new Stimson's python for about 13 weeks now and tried to get him onto fuzzies about 3 weeks ago (14 weeks old at that point), but he wouldn't take one until only a week ago. And he didn't even strike at it, he just started slowly eating it. I tried again tonight and he won't eat again, and I'm worried he will just do what he did before and not eat for 3 weeks. I've tried squeezing the back of his head to get puss out, like my breeder suggested, but that didn't work. I've still got 10 fuzzies left and I don't want to waste them, but I think I may have to go back to pinkies. He fed every time when he was on pinkies, but just isn't interested in the fuzzies. What should I do?

sorry if this doesn't make much sense. Thanks for your help!

ewe that's a new technique, Ive never heard of squeezing the head b4! ive never know an animal to be keen on eating something with pus, pus is usually a sign of an un healthy animal (bacteria/infections). don't stress if he doesn't strike when he eats, mine have done that plenty of times. are you defrosting the fuzzies properly? it may take him some time remember hes only ever eaten pinkies b4 so new foods can take some getting use to. Is he coming into a shed that's another thing to think about, plus winter is on its way most reptiles cut back on their feeding at this time of yr.

He isn't shedding. He only shed a few weeks ago so that can't be it. I know it's nearly winter, but it was still warm when I started trying to get him onto fuzzies first, and he still didn't eat. I check that the mouse is properly defrosted every time so I hope that's not the problem. And the whole puss thing, I don't think it is actually puss. Probably just some sort of fluid from its brain. I think doing this is meant to make it smell better for the snake.
i just don't want him to get unhealthy or under fed because he is only my first snake and I had to save up heaps to get him. If you've got any advice, I'd love to hear it. :)

Last edited:
Maybe try rubbing a pinky on a fuzzy to get it to smell like a pinky

He isn't shedding. He only shed a few weeks ago so that can't be it. I know it's nearly winter, but it was still warm when I started trying to get him onto fuzzies first, and he still didn't eat. I check that the mouse is properly defrosted every time so I hope that's not the problem. And the whole puss thing, I don't think it is actually puss. Probably just some sort of fluid from its brain. I think doing this is meant to make it smell better for the snake.
i just don't want him to get unhealthy or under fed because he is only my first snake and I had to save up heaps to get him. If you've got any advice, I'd love to hear it. :)
No need to brain the fuzzie as it has already eaten before with out so I would be concentrating on making sure your temps r correct ... If your snake is a hatchie u should keep it in a 7lt sistema click clack cause it's easy to get a 1/3 floor temp of 33-34deg temp and making sure the ambient temp in the tub does not drop below 25-26deg at this time of yr as Stimi's r renowned for going off there food for months..... Just an example one of my adult males only eats 2-3 months a yr regardless of temps and he has grown to full adult size and is breeding as we speak ;).... Get ya temps up as it's cold in dubbo in the winter :(

Well, his heat mat is pretty much always on (but still connected to a thermostat) so whenever I open his tank, he is warm and the Sri inside feels like summer. I don't think heating is a problem. But, if he does only feed once every three weeks, does that mean I should stop trying to feed him every week, to save my mice? Because I still try to feed him once a week, but end up having to get rid of the mouse. I don't want to waste so many mice!

for sure! if he isn't eating every week don't bother trying, he wont starve cos he has been eating well until now :) give him a brake for 2 weeks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back