Opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this forum very busy compared to another I am on. Being a Noob as put in one of the comments, I am the one asking silly questions that an experienced person may find annoying. However if I am asking the questions here I am asking because I want to learn. I do not expect to be belittled or harashed. So for the expericed ppl and the Noobs this is a great place to lean and share.

Anthony
aka White Shadow

Its cold , or at least cooler now so I go to work in the dark -- come home in the dark cook dinner for the family they watch CRAP on telly ( my opinion of ALL of the "reality" shows ) I look on the computer and go to bed early

Repeat this all week and there's not much brain power left for coming on here and posting

I read but don't post much because in the early days, a few times I got told " google it" which defeats the purpose of this forum.
Since then, I read here, read my books or talk to people that are happy to share their knowledge and experience.
My pythons are great, healthy and all is good.
I do have new babies - 6 chicks in a brooder. Want to help me name them ? :) :)

I read but don't post much because in the early days, a few times I got told " google it" which defeats the purpose of this forum.
Since then, I read here, read my books or talk to people that are happy to share their knowledge and experience.
My pythons are great, healthy and all is good.
I do have new babies - 6 chicks in a brooder. Want to help me name them ? :) :)
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. When people do ask a question they get told to buy this book and use the search button. That covers just about everything right there. I guess you get/got what you asked for and the result is no need to post unless you want to show off a pic or have a really technical question. just my 2c

While we have kept reptiles for a while, we have expanded our collection into species that we haven't known as much about. That's how we came to find APS in the first place :). Reading through old threads helped a lot, and what we couldn't find, we posted a question. Now, we see that a lot. Someone will post a question, and get told to use the search button. It's not necessarily the wrong answer, but it does make for fewer new threads. Maybe a short reply to help out these new questions, and then point them in the direction of other threads.
Also, as much as newer members might become annoying asking the same things over and over, maybe some of the long term members need to stop and think before posting sarcastic and negative comments. Everybody has to start somewhere, even if they don't use the common sense approach of reading through older threads on the forum first. Similarly with younger members, who in their youthful enthusiasm may post some dubious things (snakes with hats comes to mind), we need to stop and take the time to explain and educate, rather than burn or crucify them.
Lastly, this great hobby of ours has so many variables and variations, and sometimes there is more than one "right" way to go about things, so let's keep an open mind if someone does suggest something different. Yes, there will always be some no-no's, but sometimes other ways might also work (choices of substrate as an example).

Just our two cents worth.
Cheers.

Seeing people told to google it is a pet hate of mine about this forum, here we are discussing ways to increase the activity on this site and we continually direct people away from it! Sounds like something a politician would do! And I`ve mentioned before that I don't find the search function easy to use or gives me the info I`m looking for. Let people ask their stupid question and if it doesn't interest you or you cant be bothered to reply because its been covered hundreds of times, ignore it. Someone will eventually help them out.

Just my 2 cents worth.
aps is a great site with a hell of lot good information and helpfull people!
Butt
i have seen time again where newbies got burned for asking something silly.
That yes maybe they could have google it or should have bought this book or that book.
and there is a lot of bashing each other when it comes to hybrids,cross breeds jags zebras and a whole list of others things and quickly become personal insted of making valid pionts .
it might be a good idee to do some more adevertising for aps on other forums and facebook to get a few new members.
Maybe a couple more stickys would keep the basic questions at bay.

Generally I find APS a great site but I do feel that there is over deleting of trivial posts. I am reluctant to post these days because there is a holier than though attitude held by some of the so called mature people on here that want to draw imaginary lines in the sand as to what class you belong. Apparently theres even a class called a melamine keeper who does not love reptiles. No wonder newbies and people who don't distinguish themselves as a higher being are driven away or reluctant to post. The being told to use the search button and not be spoon fed is another deterent on here also. If any posts need deleting it would be these sort of posts so people would not be discouraged from this site.

I have learnt so much from this forum, and access it several times a day, yet I don't post much at all. Often it is because I simply do not have the knowledge or experience to contribute anything useful! I have used the search function and google both as ways to answer most of my questions, and find that sometimes the search function doesn't quite bring up what I want.. Especially in the case of a specific thread I've seen before and am trying to access again. However, usually where search fails, Google will bring it up eventually.

I think the issue of retaining members may in part come down to the way posts are directed and received, especially from experienced keepers to newbies. As newbies, it can be hard to understand why a reasonable question is met with disdain or abruptness. From their perspective they are trying to seek help from those in the know, and can help them look after their reptile in the best possible way. To play devils advocate here, and I could be ENTIRELY wrong, but for the experienced keepers who have been passionate about herps longer than some of the newbies have been alive, these repetitive questions about basic reptile needs and functions are not just irritating due to their prevalence, but also their content. It may feel like these newbies are just playing around with a 'pet' they know nothing about, which is potentially putting an innocent animal at a high risk or illness, discomfort or even death. I think this may be the cause for some of the abruptness that can be perceived as rudeness, when really it all stems from concerns about animal welfare.

I did a lot of research before I bought my snake, both on here and speaking with other keepers. I still sought general opinions on my initial set up, and was given a huge amount of help from people on here. Changing substrate and tweaking temps, as well as buying a thermostat, were things I did directly in relation to the advice I received here.

I am very grateful for what I have learned, and will continue to stalk this site. I have read all sorts of interesting debate ranging from the breeding of specific reptiles and the history of the herp hobby, to intense political debates and photo sharing threads of people's collections. APS is wonderful due to its diversity, both in topics and the people who post them. There will always be conflict, disagreements, and criticisms on how things are run, but overall I love this forum. Personally I think the mods do a great job in eliminating the name calling, swearing and unnecessary posts from what can become a long winded thread. I don't think the problem lies there.

Ultimately, I think some people leave this site because they take the advice they receive as a personal criticism, instead of seeing an opportunity to better the life of their reptile. Unfortunately this can't really be changed. We can all try and treat each other with respect and be courteous, but as an online Internet forum drawing together such a wide variety if people, there are bound to be social clashes.

If you receive some advice and think "gee that's a bit harsh, why are they being so rude?", maybe stop to think about why this may be the case. If it's that the welfare of your animal has been compromised, instead of being offended, be grateful that someone has helped to make you a better keeper.

I enjoy my time on APS, and though I've only been here since the start of the year, I know I'll be sticking around.

OP, you did ask for opinions, I'm sorry mine became an essay! :p

One thing I noticed is the conflict between the purists and the morph breeders...other sites etc openly show off and talk about them but NOT HERE... Shame really as I keep ants carpets and yes I do own a morph!!... And at times feel like I'm looked down at... But these people don't know me... Some accept and some don't... It's a hobby and an enjoyable one and we should all get on...it's to late to go back so we should go forward... JMO

I have a bit of a laugh on FB. The ones that get on there and bag out APS...are admins on FB groups...doing exactly to group members that they were whingeing about being done to them on here.

people take too much offence on here to bother posting most of the time, gone are the days you could have a stir with your mates without having posts deleted, and its generally not worth your while correcting someone or offering advice as everyone jumps strait on the defensive, plus no one likes ackies anymore

Over policed, an argument or three is good for the soul. It's an Internet forum thick skin is a requirement. Stalkbook has take away some traffic but has generated it too.

ch

I've been pleasantly surprised at the responses I have been getting via PM, thanks all who have taken the time out to fire something through.

I am still interested to hear more on the deleted posts or over moderation issues so please PM me as I wouldn't mind reviewing things to see where we could have done something different.

Regards
Stuart

I've been pleasantly surprised at the responses I have been getting via PM, thanks all who have taken the time out to fire something through.

I am still interested to hear more on the deleted posts or over moderation issues so please PM me as I wouldn't mind reviewing things to see where we could have done something different.

Regards
Stuart
On the over moderation part I do not have specific examples and don't really want to go through numerous threads to find any so this is why I have not PM'ed but find that very often a thread is posted and discussed and the natural progression of the discussion takes it off topic to the original subject but quite relevant and these are sometimes deleted as off topic. Lately these topics are being broken away to new threads for discussion which is a step in the right direction.

people take too much offence on here to bother posting most of the time, gone are the days you could have a stir with your mates without having posts deleted, and its generally not worth your while correcting someone or offering advice as everyone jumps strait on the defensive, plus no one likes ackies anymore

Agreed. To many experienced members have been banned or discouraged from posting, in fear or upsetting a few thin skinned newbies. There are still plenty of newbies, but the experienced members are now lacking.

I think people that have been in this hobby long enough mostly despise other people and cant be bothered communicating anymore.. Forums..Facebook..Telephone calls…Eh..

Agreed. To many experienced members have been banned or discouraged from posting, in fear or upsetting a few thin skinned newbies. There are still plenty of newbies, but the experienced members are now lacking.
I think that you are probably right to some extent but not sure if you are aware that if people leave on their own accord that it puts there membership as suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back