Is this too low???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With a tank that size it almost doesn't matter how low a wattage you put in, you won't get a proper temp gradient, plus the fact the light with cage around it takes up almost 50% of your enclosure space.
Your best option in this instance is to ditch the light and cage, and sandwich that heat mat in between two tiles for a ground based basking spot with your thermostat probe resting on top of it and independent thermometer to monitor the temp.

Hey guys,
It doesnt matter anymore as im not getting a diamond nor am i using this tank. I have actually just purchased a 6yo bredli python with the enclosure :)
Thanks for all the help, you guys are the best :)

Regards Sam :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I bought her off this forum, i havent picked her up yet :( itll be another 2 or so weeks until i do! The only pics i have of her are the ones they posted on the advertisement for her

It doesn't matter now but you may wish to use it in the future. You need to be able to provide that 33-35oC around the heat source, droppinc off to mid 20's at the coolest spot in the enclosure. With a light guard it needs to be able to pass the touch test. If you cannot hold your hand again any part for several minutes then it is too hot for you and too hot for the occupant.

I must agree about heat cords and tiles. Warm surfaces are extremely effective in warming up reptiles which is why we so many on bitumen roads. By using a slate or ceramic tile above a looped heat cord, the conductivity of the tiles spreads the heat evenly. The tiles also have a high specific heat which means they need a lot of heat to raise their temperature one degree. As a result, once they are warmed up, they are capable of consistently warming up a cold reptile with minimal drop in temperature. This system of heating is extremely energy efficient.

Blue

Hey, thanks for the reply!
Im seriously contemplating putting a gecko in there, most likely a knob tailed gecko, if thats the case i wouldnt need the light cage would i?

Regards Sam :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back