Solar water heater

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hi,
anyone know how to make a solar water heater for a V.mertensi? Or convert a regular water heater so it runs of a small solar panel?Thanks
kind regards
CN

What about the same sort of set up used for swimming pools, with pipes/hoses on the roof?

We have a juvenile mertens water monitor, so we have been thinking ahead on its future enclosure.:)

Not sure if those type of heaters are sold in kits, or you can buy as little or as much as you need. You'd probably need to ask at a pool shop, unless Bunnings sells anything like that.

Depends how much water you need to heat. You could make a panel using copper tube painted matt black under a sheet of glass and hook it up using a solar powered pond pump or flexible black plastic tube. You can buy polycarbonate panels for pools off eBay and bunnings can order them in. Look in their pool equipment catalogue. Only problem with pool stuff will be messing around with fittings to suit whatever pump you will use as they are designed to match up with 40mm PVC pressure pipe/fittings.

I think that is a pretty good idea if done on a smaller scale as they get pretty hot.

Use black poly pipe (irrigation) run on a piece of tin. You could put glass onto it and seal it to maximise effect if you wanted but I think it would be quite effective anyway. As discussed use a small pond pump to circulate the water. There is also black plastic bags available that you leave in the sun for showering whilst camping called solar showers. There is plenty of way to achieve warm or hot water using solar and you just have to use your imagination to adapt one to your particular application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with the temperature, as most solar hot water systems fitted on the roof can reach 90 degrees plus hence a tempering valve is fitted to make sure people don't scold themselves.

If you are going to do it, I'd use the pressure pipe sprayed black. Inlet at the bottom, outlet on the top. Although maybe think about a tempering valve. They allow the water to reach a maximum of 45 degrees, but that is adjustable.

I'm a plumber so I thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I can make one that runs on solar :) if not will just have to buy a regular water heater for turtles :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back