What other creepy things do you do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
So generally when people find out I have snakes as pets, they have a very specific reaction - usually involving a shudder and a very strange look. And then I tell them I like to collect all things natural, including animal bones, and by then they've put me into the "creepy potential serial killer lady" category.

It doesn't help that I'm a grown adult who loves to collect Monster High dolls and figurines of Spawn/Alien etc. Oh and I like drawing pictures that sometimes involve disembodied deer heads and slime. But I draw pretty, innocuous things too! And my doctor tells me I'm perfectly sane :)

So I would like to know. Do you have any other "creepy" hobbies? Or are you a straight laced, outstanding citizen who breaks the weirdo mould?

basically it's a Saturday night, I'm not drinking and I'm bored. Please entertain me with your stories, preferably weird ones.

I skin small animals and leave the carcasses on my neighbors doorsteps if they complain about me walking to get my mail in the nude...

You beat me to it, Jacknife.

20 years ago it was pretty unusual to find someone who had a pet snake. 10 years ago most people knew someone with pet snakes. Today most people know lots of people with pet snakes including kids and all sorts of normal people who just want a convenient pet. It's actually a while since I had people act that way when they found out I kept snakes. Back in the 90s it would freak people out or they'd think I was weird or crazy, they'd be amazed and fascinated, ask lots of questions and want to visit to see them. In the 00s it was sort of interesting and a bit less common than birds, fish and fuzzies, but now people usually just react like I've said I have a cat. Next decade it will probably be "Snakes? That's so 90s, we're all over that and keeping jellyfish now, keep up"

I was present at a rental inspection last year, the first one after a snake keeper had moved into the house. The inspector saw the snakes,t didn't even blink and blandly said "Oh another snake keeper, you're the third one I've seen this morning"

After a while youl find your better off just not telling anyone.....

We get a range of reactions from people, from the shudder/strange look to the "oh, cool!"

- - - Updated - - -

And people think we're weird because we enjoy each other's company and doing things together.

I tend to be overly enthusiastic with telling people about my critters (all of them, not just the snakes), so often get the standard reaction of revultion to some degree. I usually smile sweetly and say "that's how I feel about your children", before continuing to crap on about my animals :)

After a while youl find your better off just not telling anyone.....

Yes , I thought this about our lifestyle also but it is how you create interest in something that isn't quite "normal" we have a few snake keeping friends now since they have been here given us that first silly reaction then eventually come around and bought their own reptiles

the nudist bit seems to take a lot longer 8)

Yep, I get labelled like that too. More so after telling them I am also a gamer. Even had my boss tell me "eww that's disgusting" after she found out I have pet snakes lol. But hey, there will always be those people out there that just don't understand. Haters gonna hate I guess haha, I just find it amusing now when they react negatively.

More often than not the people who think it's weird and gross can be converted in a few sessions with your critters.

More often than not the people who think it's weird and gross can be converted in a few sessions with your critters.

I used to think it was weird! Lol then I got the chance to handle a few in my role as a zoo volunteer. I fell in love then. I work from home as a Family Day Care educator and surprisingly none of my parents or management staff have had an issue with my snake so it's definitely becoming acceptable. Have had a friend threaten to unfriend me on Facebook because snake photos freak her out though. Her problem not mine :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually unless they're actual close friends or people that would visit my house, I just don't tell people. Though given my appearance and personality when they do find out it's not really a surprise...

Yeh I keep bugs and pretty much anything related to the natural world lol a lotif people tend to be weirded out and shocked but some think its cool as. Dw tye shocked ones are treated to a relaxing session with my lovely V.mertensi or one of my giant millipedes and hey presto a bunch of new people in the hobby!

I used to collect cabbage patch dolls lol had over 100 at one stage lol my husband reckons that was creepy :p I've since moved on from that though lol collect kids now instead ha ha. I don't think much else about me is creepy as such though I do have an undercut hair....lol u can't tell coz I wear my hair out but I've had a lot of people tell me that's weird. iTs not to me but yeah lol is to others :p I hum when I'm stressed lol apparently that's creepy.

I talked a former work mate into getting a licence, and he bought three dragons off me. And he now tells me his three teenage boys fight over who is going to feed the dragons. and on weekends he walks around with them on shoulders.
He asked me if I could find a Harness to walk them in... I hope not down the street.

I started collecting people in my basement in 1998 but I lost interest about 6 mths in and haven't been down there since. So I guess its not really a hobbie anymore.

I wanted to keep an eagle when I was a teenager, not sure if a wedgetail could be kept on licence back then but it was just a desire to do so. These days if I owned some acreage and laws would allow I would like to keep a couple of Territory Buffalo and a freshwater croc or two. Can't help dreaming.

I metal detect and bottle fossick (vintage and antique ones).
Also do capture and sales of certain inverts (centipedes, mantid, stick insects, beetles) in the wet season in summer, the rest of the year it's just looking after the reptiles, birds and cats except when the stick insect eggs start hatching throughout the year.
I have kept tarantula's and scorps etc a few times and am keen to get into breeding them.
Once I have yard again and build a large shed, it's gonna be rigged out to house plenty of inverts to breed and sell (mainly Aust Tarantula's, scorps, pedes, stick insects and beetles) and a bunch of herps.

I'm usually fairly enthusiastic about my critters too, some friends are scared of them, others are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back