My snake wont eat..?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

becwatson14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i have my 4 month old jag female she doesnt want to eat, i also have her brother whom from the same clutch eats fine and is twice as think, so im thinking she hasnt really eaten much since birth :/ i was wondering what ways to be able to get her to eat?

What have you tried?
What temps do you have them at?
What size tub are they in?
How are you heating the food / what size food are you offering?
People need a bit more info to figure out the issue.

If you use the search button you will be able to find lots of answers to what other people have tried (both successfully and unsuccessfully) there are literally hundreds of threads asking this same question.

Questions I would ask you are:

Are they kept separately or together?
Did she come with a feeding record and what was previously fed?
How long have you had her?
How long since her last successful feed?
Can you provide a picture and temp details of her set up?

That will help people suggest things :)

Going on your other threads, I would hazard a guess at it being stress related but, as outlined above, some more information would be helpful.

Heres a couple of other threads to give you some more ideas on possible causes & solutions.
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/yearling-bredli-feeding-213550/
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/adult-male-woma-brissy-won-211972/
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/feeding-hatchling-jungle-python-212962/
https://aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/children-s-python-won-t-211624/

You NEED to let that snake calm down. She's soooo stressed, that poor baby :(

Stop touching her, stop opening her tank, don't even LOOK at her for a week. Cover her up and ignore her, no peeking whatsoever. Getting her to eat is 100% more important than getting her used to being handled. The poor thing is stressing so much that she's refusing to eat. Once you've let her gone without looking/touching/poking/prying for a week or so, wait til it's night time and offer a warm rodent (whatever she was eating previously, ask the breeder) and put it quietly in her tank. After that, leave her alone. No touching/peeking until the morning.

You NEED to let that snake calm down. She's soooo stressed, that poor baby :(

Stop touching her, stop opening her tank, don't even LOOK at her for a week. Cover her up and ignore her, no peeking whatsoever. Getting her to eat is 100% more important than getting her used to being handled. The poor thing is stressing so much that she's refusing to eat. Once you've let her gone without looking/touching/poking/prying for a week or so, wait til it's night time and offer a warm rodent (whatever she was eating previously, ask the breeder) and put it quietly in her tank. After that, leave her alone. No touching/peeking until the morning.

This is not the same snake you think it is :/

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You really need to find more reputable breeders. Whoever is selling you all these snakes is clearly only after a quick buck as hatchlings and even more so JAGS ate not the snake for you it seems.

Some more information at the start of the thread would have been helpful here. As you can see, it's easy to correlate your two threads.

What's her feeding history? If she was feeding perfectly fine previously, it could be you're simply not setting up her home correctly (or rather, not to the snake's liking) and so forth. Information is essential to working out these problems!

This is not the same snake you think it is :/

Maybe give the people trying to help answers to the questions they have asked you rather than just giving this non helpful quote?
What you have essentially done is gone to the dr and said I feel sick, without telling him where or whats happened and expecting him to guess your arm is broken.

Selling three very expensive juvies, to one person(with very little experience) - two of which have issues a decent breeder should have sorted by now? Scruples are getting rarer these days...

So far [MENTION=38031]becwatson14[/MENTION] you have posted two replies after people have asked more information to help you and neither of the posts you made have answered these questions but you are more interested in arguing with another person about which particular snake it was. It seems that you are in over your head with these snakes and need some advice from the people posting rather than getting them offside. My suggestion would be to ignore posts that are not helping and answer the people who have asked for detail.

As you've been told before, stop handling them! You're constantly putting up pictures of them out of there tubs and you wonder why they're snappy and not eating. You've been given heaps of advice but keep ignoring it. I feel sorry for these snakes. :(

What have you tried?
What temps do you have them at?
What size tub are they in?
How are you heating the food / what size food are you offering?
People need a bit more info to figure out the issue.

Hi, I have tried feeding her on velvet because that's what she was apparently on, her temp is about 30 degrees, about 26 in the cool side, I tried stabbing the mouse so it smells better but she shows no interest whatsoever, she is in a 2 foot square small vivarium with 3 different hiding places and branches

Hi, I have tried feeding her on velvet because that's what she was apparently on, her temp is about 30 degrees, about 26 in the cool side, I tried stabbing the mouse so it smells better but she shows no interest whatsoever, she is in a 2 foot square small vivarium with 3 different hiding places and branches

From what I've read you own at least 3 snakes and don't even know what temperatures they need?

Sheesh...

Read any number of threads previously recommended and get your husbandry sorted.

Bump the temp to 34°
velvet what exactly? Mice or rats? If its mice then thats too small. If its rats then thats fine.
And stabbing it in the head I assume?
How are you preparing the food? Are you defrosting on the bench? In warm water etc?
Tapping the snake lightly just behind the head will often make them get annoyed enough to strike. You can also try leaving it under one of her hides overnight. Not all snakes are active feeders and show great strike.
is the enclosure glass or melamine?
If its glass cover the back sides and top with a blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back