Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW that second shot is awesome!! I never really thought about it before but now I know how the shedding process starts! He looks kind of like a frilled neck lizard haha.

Cake is due to shed any moment too; his eyes went clear two days ago and I've been waiting impatiently for him... wish he had an appetite like yours, to still wanna eat while shedding what a lil monster! Cake went off food a week ago and I was getting a bit concerned until I saw his eyes go cloudy.

haha levi didnt eat for the first 2 months after moving in with me, and you still have to pick when he feeds, sometimes he still strikes and lets go but as a whole hes pretty good now. usually if hes in the mood of striking but not eating, he will then start launching at anything that moves, even if i walk past his enclosure with it closed and locked up he'll strike, he just gets cranky or something, next day hes back to his sweet loving self, i still havent been tagged yet and he has never tried tasting me out side his cranky moods when the smell of rat is wafting around

when i took that photo its almost like hes saying 'pika-boo' kinda cute.

how old/ big is cake?

- - - Updated - - -

yet more photos of Levi, i feel kinda awkward flooding this forum with photos of him but eh
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31.0-8/s960x960/1782356_10152181898907523_1183232775615114615_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31.0-8/s960x960/1559469_10152181898877523_8694423910942205552_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/s960x960/10344225_10152181898867523_7941197396266350872_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t31.0-8/s960x960/906273_10152181899007523_3940918824685556437_o.jpg
a bit of an adventure out on the clothes line, seemed really relaxed and curious about everything as always even with the overcast skies

Jarrah has just gone into shed too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question for all other rsp owners. My little hatchie has really runny poo. The white urate section is normal hardish but the rest is very watery. Is this normal?

• @GlenCoco I'd have to look up the papers (buried somewhere under my avalanche of stuff) but I was under the impression he was clutchmates with Levi and giggles' roughie, would they be around five months now?

• @Jarrah there must be something in the air because Cake just had a beautiful shed :) And then smashed down a fuzzy haha shedding must be serious business!

• @jacevy actually I would like some clarification on this too. I vaguely remember reading somewhere it's normal but every time I see it I feel a bit worried, doesn't look like python poo at all to me... and it's SO. stinky.

Edit: can anyone tell me how to make proper spaces between paragraphs?

Last edited:
@jacey my guy's was like that too, when he was on pinkies, upsized his food and its "normal" looking now. lol definitely was shocked at the size they can take haha my roughie and jungle seem to be hungrier as the cold has set in? anyone elses? lol

[MENTION=39954]giggles[/MENTION] how big is the poo? I fed Cake a larger fuzzy rat than usual last Thursday and the next day there was a long thin brown thing that I'm ASSUMING is poo but it looks so incredibly different to the watery stuff he had before OR regular (adult) python poo that I've seen that I'm shocked. Plus, considering the size of the rat it seems REALLY SMALL. I'm having a hard time coming up with something for size comparison lol... maybe half the length of a toothpick, and not much thicker??? That's pretty crazy right... even as I ask this question I think I know it sounds crazy. He's getting pretty chunky around the tummy though so I'm wondering if he's just gaining weight or if there's still a bunch of undigested rat in there... I have no idea what to expect of hatchie metabolisms...

Oh and yes, he's still ravenous as ever; the cold hasn't affected his appetite at all.

Should I be expecting a massive dump in a week or so?

[MENTION=39720]Tigerlily[/MENTION], well it was normal til this week and now it's watery again, so i have NO idea what's going on lol i did upsize he's enclosure so perhaps its stress related, i haven't had an adult yet so i dont know what to expect there. make sure there's nothing hard feeling in his stomach though, what substrate do you have? hopefully there's nothing he could of accidentally eaten that would cause a blockage. do you take him out regularly for exercise?

Very lovely male, could do with a few non phone pictures that do him justice though.

Last edited:
What's a "normal" growth for rsp hatchies? Mine is about 6months and already about 110cms?! but super thin still? Oh he shed today, hadn't yet witnessed before, he uses himself as a scratching post to get the skin off ! Despite having a rough rock cave and climbing objects... lol pretty cool and strange haha no wonder it's always in knots when I go to unravel it lol :D

[MENTION=39954]giggles[/MENTION] he soundsuper long, mines probably about the same age but only around 75cm but he eats like a machine. mines still supper skinny i think they might fatten up when they hit maturity or something

I'm just amazed at the growth in the 3-4 months i've had him lol :D

Attachments

• 10371433_653579044724960_7093572006101197620_n.jpg
    10371433_653579044724960_7093572006101197620_n.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 121
Gorgeous!!!

Also what size food are you feeding him? He definitely looks much bigger than mine..

[MENTION=39720]Tigerlily[/MENTION], well the petshop i buy rats from have 2 "fuzzy" sizes and i'm just moving him up to the larger ones, rat pups i think they're technically called, almost the same weight as an adult mouse. i've never really fed him on a schedule though, its anywhere between 4-7 days due to busy-ness, perhaps ive been powerfeeding him without even realising lol

i feed mine once he starts getting more active at night which usilly is around every 5 or so days. i feed him fuzzies rats, quite large compared to him, gives him quite a belly buldge, i wouldnt know how much they weigh though.
i usually feed him two maybe 3 max otherwise im afraid he will over eat, ill probably up him in a month or two. i just want him to get a bit fatter, hes fairly long but so skinny compared to my spotted haha

yeah definitely, i was a little worried about mines skinniness too lol I have been told it takes them longer than other pythons to digest completely like 7 days i think, so now i'm worried about continuing feeding him so soon after. >.< lol I'm hoping they dont get thick/big enough to think cats are a meal though? haha

haha well i havent had any problems so far so i dont mind if mine eats like a little piggy haha i just make sure his rat lump is gone before i feed him again. they did a episode on snakebytes tv with a fully grown roughie (it was hella ******, bit brian and himself multipule times the blood was insane from their huge teeth) it wasnt thick really, maybe a cubby dimond size? ill find a link for you but theyre nothing like a bredli

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8-qdVXx_k
at 6:25 is where the fully grown roughie is

and his later video where he came out in one piece at 2:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isT_mPXfWM8

[MENTION=39850]GlenCoco[/MENTION] are you saying you feed two rats in one sitting? I often wonder if I should feed him another because he acts hungry even after he eats. My rat supplier gives me a mixed bag of fuzzies in different sizes and so far I've only fed the smaller ones. Swampie said his are taking 20g rats so when these run out I'll be upsizing and see how it goes.
[MENTION=39954]giggles[/MENTION] mine are the size of adult mice too! But they're still almost naked, some with very little fur... oh and you mentioned the slower digestion but just for comparison, mine poos 3-5 days after the feed... I learned that the hard way when I had him on my bed and he bowel-movemented all over it. It was literally the first time I ever let him on my bed too... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back