New Enclosure - Heat Lamp / Thermostat Issues Please Help...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just setup a new enclosure for my Coastal / Diamond Cross Snake. He is about 1600mm long and was well overdue for a new enclosure... The previous setup was a Melamine measuring 900 W x 600 H x 600 D and the new one is also Melamine measuring 1200 W x 1100 H x 600 D.

The issues I am having are;

1) deciding the best position for the thermostat probe
2) correct wattage globe
3) the distance the basking point should be from the actual heat globe.

Everything is already in place and running but I have serious concerns... The thermostat probe is positioned about 300mm down from the ceiling and about 150mm from the left side of the enclosure wall with a temperature set point of 28'C. The heat globe is positioned about 300mm from the left side wall and about 175mm off the back wall. The basking branch is about 160mm away from the bottom of the 100 W heat lamp and temperatures reach about 32'C directly below the globe on the branch while it is on. Unfortunately I don't think this globe will cope with the heating demands of the thermostat. There is no issue with the bottom of the enclosure as it seems stable at 20 - 22'C

As suggested by the pet shop I initially used a 150W heat globe but this produced a basking temperature of 40'C directly on the branch below the globe which was only 130mm below the globe...

As you can all appreciate I do not want to harm / cook my snake. Will the snake move if temperatures are too hot ? I have considered dropping the branch down another 100 - 150mm and reinstalling the 150W globe but will this fix the problem ? As suggested in a few books I've read the basking point should be 300mm below the heat lamp, is this the case, shouldn't the globe wattage be a factor ? In my previous enclosure the globe was about 130mm away from the basking point offset by 100mm to the right with a max temp of 30.5'C on the actual basking branch...

I am using the new Habistat digital day/night on/off thermostat purchased through The Herp Shop. I also have the dual zone Exo Terra Thermometers as well as a temp gun to check actual temps.

Please help !!!

Sounds fine to me. I don't use a thermostat in enclosures that size because if you get the right globe you won't need it.
What exactly are you're concerns as it sounds like the enclosure has the perfect temperature gradient?

I am concerned with the temp set point and actual basking hotspot;

1) The 100 W globe can not achieve the 28'C thermostat set point it only gets to 25'C and never turns off. The actual basking spot under the heat light reaches 32'C.

2) The 150 W globe can achieve the 28'C thermostat set point and cycle on / off as normal but the actual basking spot under the heat light reaches 40'C which I think is too hot for the snake.

Firstly, to answer your question, personally I would move the branch lower and use the 150w heat globe. It will create a less intense basking area because it's further away and because of the size of your enclosure the temp gradient will still be great.

Do you happen to have a picture of your enclosure or drawing so we can have a look at the internal furnishings etc, as we may be able to offer advice on how to set it up for your coastal/diamond to enjoy the best of warmth and gradient :)

NOTE: I ended up having terrible experiences with an uneven hot spot with a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) even though I'd only ever had experience with globes and always swore by them. They never really failed me until I had a fitting fail and try to burn a hole through the enclosure roof (that's another story haha) after that scary incident I decided to opt for an upgrade to a heat panel. I have it fixed to a shelf so there is a warm belly spot above it and a 30 degree basking spot below it.

My Jungle has spent more time out of his hides since using the heat panel as it distributes heat more evenly and in general he is on display more.

Last edited:
remove the thermostat and put in the 100w globe. The temps it's putting out are perfectly fine for a coastal/diamond, and if it's maxing out on powere then theres absolutely no need for a thermostat.

I have a 4x4x2 melamine enclosure with an adult Bredli in it and just run a 150w globe(no thermostat) for a basking spot. Ambient floor temp is about 27c, upper ambient temp is about 31c and the basking spot is about 37c.
If you're experienced enough, run the right wattage globes and arrange things correctly theres no need for a thermostat.

Guys, Thanks for your replies.

I have checked the enclosure again with different thermometers and the actual focus point of the heat globe on the branch reaches 45+ 'C with the 150W globe and about 40'C with the 100W globe. I am going to move the main (basking) branch down about 100mm and see how it goes.

I will also install a rock ledge as well in order to provide an additional perch for the snake. Additional ventilation will be installed in the front of the enclosure as well as the right side wall.

My snake often goes into his water bowl but shows no sign of mites, etc. A lot of people keep saying it has a problem but with temperatures ranging from 28'C - 21'C I can't see any reason for it. I simply think he likes the water...

I'll post a photo soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back