Virides to do Name Plates for your Animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Send me the license and I'll have a read and let you know.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

So I have been working on these tonight using the newly sourced map. Because of the regions and the printing method I will be using, I had to make the map quite large, this has made the plaques to be approximately 110mm x 70mm.

Here is a sample of what we are looking to do. We can't make sizes that suit everyone, but at 110 x 70mm we can fill out the panel with some room for adjustments and some info we wouldn't normally have.

Virides_DistributionMap_Sample_zps72730d14.jpg

The green area represents what we could find as a distribution for the species, the yellow represents the Biodiversity Region it recorded to exist within - based on the Data we have sourced.

Could we get some suggestions for the Additional Info? This area may not be 4 lines, as we may need that for the habitat area (in case it is longer than shown). Suggestions still appreciated.

Keep in mind the only custom area will be the pet's name.

Ok it has been quite a while since I last posted.

I haven't got anything to add other than I am still working on making the artwork for these (there is a lot) but I have had to put this far down the priority list. The main reason is that Virides is transitioning to the next step.

The next step is that we will be purchasing our own laser cutter which does allow us to make our products cheaper (but not actually because of new overheads, it's about the same) but will allow us to produce significantly more items per year. The reason for the expected increase in production is our dealings with major enclosure brands in Australia, UK, USA and Canada. We are also in talks with distribution to UK, USA, Canada, Germany, South Africa and Australia. On loose estimates we could be looking at a production increase of 10000%.

So I would love to still do the name plates and they are not shelved, just delayed.

So I have been working on these tonight using the newly sourced map. Because of the regions and the printing method I will be using, I had to make the map quite large, this has made the plaques to be approximately 110mm x 70mm.

Here is a sample of what we are looking to do. We can't make sizes that suit everyone, but at 110 x 70mm we can fill out the panel with some room for adjustments and some info we wouldn't normally have.

Virides_DistributionMap_Sample_zps72730d14.jpg

The green area represents what we could find as a distribution for the species, the yellow represents the Biodiversity Region it recorded to exist within - based on the Data we have sourced.

Could we get some suggestions for the Additional Info? This area may not be 4 lines, as we may need that for the habitat area (in case it is longer than shown). Suggestions still appreciated.

Keep in mind the only custom area will be the pet's name.

Looks really good!

This is awesome. I always forget my snakes names, species and natural distribution.

This is awesome. I always forget my snakes names, species and natural distribution.
Was that written in sarcastica?
I dont name reptiles. But the name plates will be good for briefing my visitors who have no idea what they are looking at.

I agree with Snowman, this is a fantastic idea to help educate visitors who don't know anything about snakes. Anything that stimulates a positive discussion about our scaly pets can only be a positive thing in my eyes :)

I just want to check that the recent responders/readers of this thread noticed the latest post which stated the probable extensive delay in these name plates based on our expansion with the business.

I just don't want to give people the wrong idea of where these are at.

I only just found this thread,are you still doing the original design or has this been superceded?
I actually would like a few of the original design.

I only just found this thread,are you still doing the original design or has this been superceded?
I actually would like a few of the original design.

In short, yes it has been superseded but not necessarily by the map version. The problem with the first one was that the etching of the QR2id code was not actually the designed production flow for the product. It works a lot better if the code label is applied by the customer once the name plate and QR2id Label Sheet/kit has been delivered.

With this in mind the panel will need to be large enough to accommodate the label which is larger than the original 79 x 29mm.

With the laser we are wanting to get we will be looking to get an i-Cut Camera System that allows us to perfectly line up any print and laser cut out items. At $14000 +GST and Install, it might be a later addition. Essentially we are looking to do everything completely in house which will allow us to have a lot of freedom with new ideas like these name plates.

I know I am repeating myself, but just want to reiterate that the name plates are not dead and buried, just delayed. All variations can be explored and best practice items can be produced when we are ready for them. Gives us plenty of research time at least.

on the sample pic above you say there will only be 1 custom line,I liked the first design with multiple custom lines because I was thinking name on top line and hatch date on another line as well as obviously the standard lines of species and sub species

Hi Virides, any idea roughly how delayed we are talking for this product? As in next month, year, couple years? I've just got a new enclosure built, and would love a couple of these labels.

We hit a big milestone in the business in getting ourselves ready for distribution in Australia and overseas. Also we have now got a client from which we are designing products for them. We have just had so much stuff going on, not to mention getting ready for the up coming Gold Coast show.

I think what I will do is do up a test panel and see what the print quality is like. Just at least to see how we can go about producing these. The biggest part of the whole exercise is to get the regions made - with about 40 species it is a lot to do.

If I am to put a time frame to this, I would say 6-12months. Maybe end of year with at least some regions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you have a laser etcher, would it be possible to etch the name of your pet onto the finger grips?
I just purchased a mirrored set of grips this morning. Having the pet's name on them would be a cool edition.

Now that you have a laser etcher, would it be possible to etch the name of your pet onto the finger grips?
I just purchased a mirrored set of grips this morning. Having the pet's name on them would be a cool edition.

Thanks for your order!

We don't own the laser etcher, we expressed interest in getting one but it doesn't suit us just yet. While we do get an amazing rate for the machine we have access to, it is still too expensive to do this kind of thing.

The only way we could do this is have our own machine, have orders put in prior to a batch being produced and have a reliable flow of such orders to justify the option. Besides that, putting a name on the snakes would be very small, so it wouldn't be fair to have it on some products and not others within the same product category.

I will however add this to our list of ideas submitted for potential further development :)

--------------------

As for the distribution maps I have put this into our design program to have 2 or 3 popular snakes/lizards kept to be available near the end of the year. These will be sold solely through APS with them going on the website once we have a fair amount of species covered.

Fair call. Just an idea I suddenly had.

I look forward to receiving the grips.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back