Design suggestions for a snake 'hot box'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCW74

Reaction score
G'day all

I'm about to embark on fitting out 2 aviaries, one for a Coastal and one for a Diamond python. Both are adults > 2m long. The aviaries will be kept outdoors but in an under cover area. I live on the central coast of NSW, so nights in winter get pretty cold.

So, I'm looking to build a couple of 'hot boxes' for the snakes that they can access at will, which I will install on the floor of their enclosure. I'm seeking advice on what form these should take from others who may have built similar. I'm thinking of building a sort of 60cm cube, probably MDF, with a ceramic heat emitter at one end (covered of course) to provide a heat source. The box would be open at one end to allow easy movement in/out for the snake. Basically I just want a warm area that the snakes can access as they need to, I am happy for them cool over the winter period. The box would be turned off during the warmer months.

Does this sound feasible and could I get away without a thermostat?

Any advice, pictures etc of anything similar would be much appreciated

Cheers

Try using insulated sandwich panels (coolroom panels) to make your cube, with a heat cord or ceramic heat emitter & cage....

Taking electricity outdoors and into an enclosure is not something to be taken lightly. Even under cover.
Things to think about is damage to cable, earthing metal frames, moisture etc etc. Even as an electrician I'd need to plan such a thing carefully.
A heat cord could work effectively. But it would need to be controlled. Given the option of 14 degrees or 40 degrees a python may take the 40 and end up in bad shape, especially if it refuses to move from there.
I have thought about doing something similar a few times. It's not as simple as it sounds.... The other thing is even in the warmer months providing basking sites. Which isn't as easy to do undercover. I know people that have set up SWCP outside. No heating, but a buried pot so the snakes can escape extreme heat and extreme cold. There is open wire for basking and shelter from the rain. It would help that they live in the natural distribution for SW carpets as well.

Thanks for that feedback folks, appreciated.

Thanks for the heads up re: electrical issues. To clarify, the undercover area is a completely enclosed patio, waterproof and the aviary would be on concrete. There is an outside power supply adjacent to where the aviary would be located, but your points are great and I am wary of electricity! And your right, given the option of heat, perhaps the thermostat is worthwhile.

Thanks

I would be interested to see how it turns out. Got any photos?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Will do in time. Given time constraints, will probably be a couple of months unfortunately......:(

You could try building some timber boxes around 500mmx500mmx200mm with a timber bottom with the top hinged for easy access, then route out some grooves in a serpentine pattern and lay heat cord in the grooves and a slate/ceramic tile on top of that, then cut out a hole in the side big enough for your snakes, you can attach a thermostat probe to the inside of the lid and have it set for around 32deg, if you set something like than up your snakes can have a choice of going inside the "hot box" or just basking on the tile, i will be doing something similar with my new enclosure build. :) ..............................Ron

I housed a coastal outdoors without heating however in sunny qld. Have u thought about solar energy? Safer than electricity i think and im sure it would be possible lol or not.

life really is like a box of chocolates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back